Join for free
Reply
Silver Tabby's Avatar
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
Silver Tabby is online now
England
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 12,439
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-09-2018, 03:46 PM
1

Computer losing it's marbles!

For the last few days - about once every hour - my computer goes 'Bing Bong - that USB is not compatible'! Fair enough - except I have never given it a USB to play with in the first place!
Reply With Quote
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is online now
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 22,045
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-09-2018, 03:57 PM
2

Re: Computer losing it's marbles!

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
For the last few days - about once every hour - my computer goes 'Bing Bong - that USB is not compatible'! Fair enough - except I have never given it a USB to play with in the first place!
I get the 'This computer could perform faster if you use this USB' message. Even though there's nothing plugged in at the time. Probably just Google Chrome trying to infiltrate and invite itself around for dinner.
Reply With Quote
Silver Tabby's Avatar
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
Silver Tabby is online now
England
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 12,439
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-09-2018, 04:00 PM
3

Re: Computer losing it's marbles!

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I get the 'This computer could perform faster if you use this USB' message. Even though there's nothing plugged in at the time. Probably just Google Chrome trying to infiltrate and invite itself around for dinner.
LOL It's on a loser in this house, Dongles!
Reply With Quote
Tedc
Senior Member
Tedc is offline
Berkshire, UK
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,014
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-09-2018, 04:02 PM
4

Re: Computer losing it's marbles!

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
For the last few days - about once every hour - my computer goes 'Bing Bong - that USB is not compatible'! Fair enough - except I have never given it a USB to play with in the first place!
Assuming that you have no USB devices plugged in (i.e. no USB Mouse, USB Keyboard, Printer, etc) I would hazard a guess that one of the USB Drivers, which are in the PC for the USB adapters fitted in there, has become corrupted.

I'd go into "Device Manager" and uninstall any USB devices on the screen there.

No damage would be done as you probably are not using them anyway.

Even if something was using them they would automatically be replaced when next you open Windows.
Reply With Quote
Purwell's Avatar
Purwell
Chatterbox
Purwell is offline
North Herts, England
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 6,246
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-09-2018, 05:38 PM
5

Re: Computer losing it's marbles!

Do you charge your phone from the USB port?
Reply With Quote
TessA's Avatar
TessA
Official Poinker
TessA is offline
Somerset
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 17,163
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-09-2018, 05:56 PM
6

Re: Computer losing it's marbles!

A ghost in your machine! It's a spook!
Reply With Quote
Silver Tabby's Avatar
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
Silver Tabby is online now
England
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 12,439
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-09-2018, 07:41 PM
7

Re: Computer losing it's marbles!

Originally Posted by TessA ->
A ghost in your machine! It's a spook!
I am beginning to believe !!
Reply With Quote
Silver Tabby's Avatar
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
Silver Tabby is online now
England
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 12,439
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-09-2018, 07:42 PM
8

Re: Computer losing it's marbles!

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Do you charge your phone from the USB port?
No - it is an ancient steam driven thing - plugs into a fat charger on a three pin plug.
Reply With Quote
Silver Tabby's Avatar
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
Silver Tabby is online now
England
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 12,439
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-09-2018, 07:42 PM
9

Re: Computer losing it's marbles!

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Assuming that you have no USB devices plugged in (i.e. no USB Mouse, USB Keyboard, Printer, etc) I would hazard a guess that one of the USB Drivers, which are in the PC for the USB adapters fitted in there, has become corrupted.

I'd go into "Device Manager" and uninstall any USB devices on the screen there.

No damage would be done as you probably are not using them anyway.

Even if something was using them they would automatically be replaced when next you open Windows.
Thanks, Tedc, will give that a try.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.