Join for free
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 12:39 PM

Re: Frugal living

Hubby and I have been chatting about this thread, while doing our chores.
We've come to the conclusion that we don't like to see waste.
We don't waste money by buying the most expensive - it isn't always the best.
And as I wrote before, we try not to waste food either.
But .... we spent our lives bringing up a family, paying a mortgage and doing the best for our children, like all others here.
This is our time now. We refuse to scrimp and scrape, we think we have earned our time for spoiling ourselves.
Yes we grow some of our vegetables, more for fun than economy and we freeze what we can't eat.
As for the vinegar, I've been using it for years to clean .. cheap washing up liquid is great too for cleaning, especially in the garden. I use salt to spot weed.
Of course you should feed your animals well as Julie says it pays in the end. As far as I'm concerned, it is no different to how you fed your children - you wouldn't give them poor food.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

02-03-2013, 01:00 PM

Surely animals shouldn't be compared with children, they are much lower down the pecking order, or should be, imo. I would go as far as to say it is very WRONG to feed animals on quality meat products when humans are going hungry, horsemeat and lesser cuts of other meats are good enough for animals.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 01:03 PM

I've found bulk cooking gives me the added bonus of a sense of organisation in my life too - sadly lacking until now.

I've never thought of adding cucumber to water - sounds so refreshing and a good way of using up cucumber too.

I think your idea of a clothes swap is great. A friend of mine had weight loss surgery and a support group was set up whereby people who were losing weight donated their clothes to the support group at each stage of their weight loss - it was very well utilised by all accounts. I might think about setting up a facebook page or something similar. They have a movement called "free stuff" or something like that the only problem is people donate their stuff and unscrupulous car-boot sellers take the stuff off their hands - bit of a shame really.

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Well, one tip I can give that I learned a few days ago that vinegar kills weeds. I've put it on some weeds and grass that's growing through the patio slabs and they are actually dying! I was looking for a weedkiller not harmful to pets and came across that bit of advice - and cheap as anything! I will be watching over the next few days to see if they die off altogether - it will make life so much easier and not wasting money on toxic chemicals.

Always bulk cook and freeze portion sizes - I do this with puddings/cakes as well (more out of laziness than anything else but if the oven is on, it is filled).

I like water and keep a jug filled with it but flavour it with orange, lime, grapefruit or lemon slices or, for a different taste, cucumber slices - lovely in the summer and cheaper than other soft drinks.

I heard recently about a clothes swapping idea that sounds good, you can contact Clothing Swap and Buffalo Exchange or host your own by inviting friends, set a minimum number of pieces for each to bring, and trade away.

Men's hankies tend to have a tailored look to them so you can use new ones (quite cheap) to make a window valance which can look very nice.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 01:08 PM

Yes exactly - I too hate seeing waste and there is so much of it around so making the decision to live frugally has the added bonus of avoiding the heart sinking feeling when seeing a pile of uneaten food go to the rubbish.

I know what you mean about scrimping and saving, we have a de longhi coffee machine - bean to cup - and that is one more luxury that we do indulge ourselves with - interestingly because the coffee is so divine we tend to only have one cup a day and I rarely have coffee out as it just doesn't compare. My other indulgence (oh my days, I'm worried there might be a few) is good cheese!

Sandi.

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Hubby and I have been chatting about this thread, while doing our chores.
We've come to the conclusion that we don't like to see waste.
We don't waste money by buying the most expensive - it isn't always the best.
And as I wrote before, we try not to waste food either.
But .... we spent our lives bringing up a family, paying a mortgage and doing the best for our children, like all others here.
This is our time now. We refuse to scrimp and scrape, we think we have earned our time for spoiling ourselves.
Yes we grow some of our vegetables, more for fun than economy and we freeze what we can't eat.
As for the vinegar, I've been using it for years to clean .. cheap washing up liquid is great too for cleaning, especially in the garden. I use salt to spot weed.
Of course you should feed your animals well as Julie says it pays in the end. As far as I'm concerned, it is no different to how you fed your children - you wouldn't give them poor food.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
Surely animals shouldn't be compared with children, they are much lower down the pecking order, or should be, imo. I would go as far as to say it is very WRONG to feed animals on quality meat products when humans are going hungry, horsemeat and lesser cuts of other meats are good enough for animals.

Tescos, Aldi and Iceland supermarkets (to name but a few) wouldn't agree with you Willow darlin' as they've apparently been feeding humans on horse meat for quite a while, notwithstanding their labelling states 100% beef.
Baxter8
Somerset

02-03-2013, 01:11 PM

Willow

Please for the love of God can you please not try to hijack my thread with your ridiculous postings on animals being lower down the evolutionary chain/pecking order.

I've seen your provocative posts in other threads and I just find it terribly immature. Think what you like about what I feed my dog I don't give a flying fig.

If you are incapable of adding anything constructive then please do not post anything - people will respect you far more.

Sandy

Baxter8
Somerset

02-03-2013, 01:15 PM

Hi Wrinkly

I guess you're right - I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, I'm finding that living more frugally also means living healthier. Never thought about it 'til I read your post.

I've responded to Willow in terms that he/she may understand!

Sandy

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Hello Sandt y, and welcome to the forum.
Frugality living is fine by me, but I feel you mean more a healthy living, now that I aspire for it makes feel that much better in yourself.
Take no notice of Williow, you do right to feed your dog well, as it can't fend for itself now.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

02-03-2013, 02:17 PM

I have a perfect right to air my views on ALL topics just as others do, and will continue to do so, whether you like it or not. If you don't like what I have to say ignore me!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 02:19 PM

Perhaps but commenting on others views and lives does leave you somewhat open to criticism yourself IMO.
Baxter8
Somerset

02-03-2013, 02:32 PM

Of course you have a perfect right air your views but hijacking another's thread is just bad-manners in my opinion.

I have the perfect solution - why not start your own thread on how we feel about our pets? Then you can air your own views to your hearts content.

Just to be clear this thread is about frugal living - not about what I should be feeding my dog.

If you post irrelevant stuff again I will ignore you and I only hope others do too. Your compulsive desire to be noticed will not be fed and perhaps then you'll go off and play with the traffic.

I have a perfect right to air my views on ALL topics just as others do, and will continue to do so, whether you like it or not. If you don't like what I have to say ignore me!

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top