Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2014, 09:12 PM

Re: saving passé?

Anyone with anything left to save has given up all hope of getting any return from their savings!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2014, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Anyone with anything left to save has given up all hope of getting any return from their savings!
Especially in the eurozone now that the ECB has reduced the interest rate to........

....... 0.05%!!!!
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2014, 10:10 PM

After reading plans to means test the NHS, it must be time to gift it all away and hope to live for seven years.

Unless.............some bright spark can come up with decent returns on loans to the NHS.....along the lines of peer to peer savings.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2014, 02:21 AM

We've discussed this elsewhere - interest rates never give you a return on your investment even when they are (say) 17% they are only slightly above the inflation rate. If you want a return on your money you have to make it 'work' and that involves some level of risk.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

05-09-2014, 07:33 AM

Bruce - Where can I see that discussion?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2014, 08:35 AM

Bruce - Where can I see that discussion?
I think if you click on this it should take you there
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2014, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
We've discussed this elsewhere - interest rates never give you a return on your investment even when they are (say) 17% they are only slightly above the inflation rate. If you want a return on your money you have to make it 'work' and that involves some level of risk.
Absolutely. I have kept very little money in a traditional savings account or CD. Just the amount I would want to be able to get at immediately for an emergency.

I have always invested in the market. Even when it tanked in 2008 and the Dow went down to six... I kept investing. The object being to buy LOW.. So now with the Dow way up over 17.. Well... do the math, as they say. When you invest in the market.. you are buying shares.. So picking up hundreds of shares at a very low price really adds up when the market almost triples.

That said... As for risk.. the closer one gets to retirement, the less risk one should take on. I have moved funds into guarranteed annuities which shifts the risk to the company rather than to me. In otherwords.. no matter what the market does.. I am guarranteed to get a certain amount.. that amount only goes up.. never down, and locks in every year until I retire and start collecting. I also am more highly invested in the traditional Blue Chips.. and less in the more risky emerging markets.. The return may be higher but so is the risk, and my concern now is not so much growing it... but keeping it.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

08-09-2014, 06:45 PM

My IFA describes me as "low risk and well spread".............often wondered about putting that on my dating profile............
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2014, 06:55 PM

My IFA describes me as "low risk and well spread".............often wondered about putting that on my dating profile............
I'd keep the "well spread" part to myself..
Lindyloo
isle of wight

08-09-2014, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I'd keep the "well spread" part to myself..
I'd never thought of it like that before.......... naive or what???
Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top