Join for free
Page 370 of 370 « First < 270 320 360 368 369 370
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 09:11 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

I was a bit worried about gaining weight too because of Lockdown Munchies but at my health check two or three weeks ago I'd lost around 9lbs from the health check last year. I wasn't trying to diet or anything. I'm in 34" waist jeans now and my chest is 44" when I breathe in (lol) so I'm doing reasonably well... so far!
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It's been 8 weeks today since I last had a decent run, but feeling some improvement in my buttock I jogged around a short one mile route on Tuesday. It was fairly uncomfortable and I've lost lot's of fitness, but I held on and completed the course.
I am impressed! It's shocking how fast fitness fades, isn't it! I had an amusing chat about that with one of the regular ladies at the gym. We were having a quick catch up, and she said that when she came back after lockdown she had expected to do the same routine as she had done prior to the lockdown. She had assumed that once you had built up stamina and muscle it was going to stay at that level. She was quite disconsolate at the time, but is happier a few weeks on. If only fitness levels never deteriorated, eh!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 10:19 AM

Thanks Tachyon, I think the older you get the harder it is to recover from lost fitness. Since I posted that earlier piece I have managed to string together some longer runs, but I have not yet managed to run non stop for any length of time. But, if I can do a few miles by dropping a walk in every now and then, I'll take that for now....

Well done on keeping your weight stable Tachyon, I think the warmer weather helps us to get out and exercise a bit more instead of napping on the sofa with a collection of boxed sets...And eating...
If you are anything like me, I can't bear to be in the house while the sun is shining...
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 10:31 AM

Foxy, I heard something disturbing yesterday, well, my dad told me he had heard it on the news that they are linking Motor Neurone Disease to excessive exercise as apparently some athletes have developed it. Did you hear about it and if so what is your thoughts on that.

Morning by the way Bro,
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 11:21 AM

Yes LQ I read that yesterday as well. Didn't know what to make of it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57431412
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the link Roxy, and Lion Queen for bringing it to my attention...

If I read it correctly it seems suggest that it would come to light on a younger person, so at almost 71 I might have dodged the bullet. Also, with longer distance running, although enduring and relentless, it is not really classed as 'Intense'...
It is possible to do intense training to increase performance, but that is mainly reserved for the top of the range lads and lassies.

But long distance and ultra long distance running does not come without it's health problems. It has been found to damage the heart after long periods of running, and since I have suffered two heart attacks I have often wondered if there might be a connection. My Dad had a heart attack about the same age as I had mine, and we were both smokers. However, last month I think it was, my hero (Ron Hill) sadly passed away at 82.
He ran at least one mile every day of his life from sometime in the early sixties, and won medals in thousands of events including the Olympics and world and commonwealth marathons, until he suffered heart problems in 2017 and had to stop running....And he never smoked..

Just found this....

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...r-dies-aged-82

Quote:

Every day between 1964 and 2017 the renowned British athlete Ron Hill ran at least a mile, setting a world record streak of 52 years and 39 days that still stands – even after snapping his sternum in a car accident in 1993.

Yet that was one of many achievements in a glorious career. For Hill, who has died at the age of 82, was also an Olympian, inventor, innovator and undoubtedly one of the country’s greatest marathon runners.

Ron Hill obituary
Read more
In 1970 he became the first Briton to win the Boston Marathon, breaking the course record, and won Commonwealth gold the same year in a time of 2hr 9min 28sec – becoming only the second man to ever go under 2hr 10min.

Hill also competed at the Olympics three times, finishing seventh in the Mexico 1968 Games despite running barefoot, and sixth in Munich four years later.

He was one of the pioneers of “carbo-loading” before a marathon to increase glycogen stores. And he used his PhD in textile engineering to good effect to invent and then race in breathable mesh vests to keep cool – a huge innovation at the time. His company Ron Hill Sports also led the way with their “trackster” tights before the lycra boom in the 1980s and 90s.

The tributes to Hill were led by Dave Bedford, the former 10,000m world record holder, who said Hill was “a great man, a great athlete, and a great influence to so many during the golden age of British distance running, including myself.

“His dedication to his sport was extraordinary, but he also stood out for being a great innovator,” he added. “He led the way with carbo-loading and with textiles. I doubt there is a British athlete in the last 30 years who hasn’t worn a pair of Ron Hill tracksters at some point. He will be deeply missed.

The 1991 world 10,000m champion Liz McColgan also paid her respects. “So sad to hear of the passing of marathon legend Ron Hill, an inspirational athletic icon over the years sincere condolences to his family. The wider running community will miss you. RIP.”

Hill’s clothing company Ronhill confirmed his death in a social media statement. “It is with immense sadness we today mourn the passing of British running legend Dr Ron Hill MBE, our founder, our inspiration, a husband, a father, a grandfat
her, a runner.”
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

13-06-2021, 11:56 AM

Almost ten weeks since I came limping home with a painful buttock and was reduced to the ranks of a 'Pedestrian'....
This last couple of weeks I've managed to cobble a few runs together with a bit of walking thrown in. So this morning with the sun high in the sky at 6:30 am, I set off in earnest to see what I could pull out of the hat. I adopted the slowest pace I could without actually walking and managed to keep it going for a full 8 miles.... It seems Foxy's back....

I must point out though, that with temperatures reaching almost 20* C and full sun, the last mile was cruel...
I felt so bad at the end I had to lie down before I fell...It's just a good job that Mrs Fox was out on her morning walk otherwise she wouldn't have allowed me to go out running ever again...

Page 370 of 370 « First < 270 320 360 368 369 370

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top