Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 03:46 PM

Computer losing it's marbles!

For the last few days - about once every hour - my computer goes 'Bing Bong - that USB is not compatible'! Fair enough - except I have never given it a USB to play with in the first place!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 03:57 PM

Re: Computer losing it's marbles!

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
For the last few days - about once every hour - my computer goes 'Bing Bong - that USB is not compatible'! Fair enough - except I have never given it a USB to play with in the first place!
I get the 'This computer could perform faster if you use this USB' message. Even though there's nothing plugged in at the time. Probably just Google Chrome trying to infiltrate and invite itself around for dinner.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I get the 'This computer could perform faster if you use this USB' message. Even though there's nothing plugged in at the time. Probably just Google Chrome trying to infiltrate and invite itself around for dinner.
LOL It's on a loser in this house, Dongles!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Assuming that you have no USB devices plugged in (i.e. no USB Mouse, USB Keyboard, Printer, etc) I would hazard a guess that one of the USB Drivers, which are in the PC for the USB adapters fitted in there, has become corrupted.

I'd go into "Device Manager" and uninstall any USB devices on the screen there.

No damage would be done as you probably are not using them anyway.

Even if something was using them they would automatically be replaced when next you open Windows.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 05:38 PM

Do you charge your phone from the USB port?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 05:56 PM

A ghost in your machine! It's a spook!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

13-09-2018, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
A ghost in your machine! It's a spook!
I am beginning to believe !!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

13-09-2018, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Do you charge your phone from the USB port?
No - it is an ancient steam driven thing - plugs into a fat charger on a three pin plug.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

13-09-2018, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Assuming that you have no USB devices plugged in (i.e. no USB Mouse, USB Keyboard, Printer, etc) I would hazard a guess that one of the USB Drivers, which are in the PC for the USB adapters fitted in there, has become corrupted.

I'd go into "Device Manager" and uninstall any USB devices on the screen there.

No damage would be done as you probably are not using them anyway.

Even if something was using them they would automatically be replaced when next you open Windows.
Thanks, Tedc, will give that a try.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top