Join for free
Page 7 of 18 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 03:55 PM

Re: What’s New in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update

My old laptop at home is still running XP without any problems, getting a bit slow and some graphics are not too good but otherwise no problems.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
My old laptop at home is still running XP without any problems, getting a bit slow and some graphics are not too good but otherwise no problems.
I understand that XP can run programmes that subsequent operating systems can not Purwell. I had a brilliant programme called microsoft money, and vista would not run it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I understand that XP can run programmes that subsequent operating systems can not Purwell. I had a brilliant programme called microsoft money, and vista would not run it.
Yes, I seem to remember XP being the best at the time and subsequently up to 7, which was also very good.

Another thing is, I think, that as Windows have been 'improved', it has also got much bigger and requires a more powerful computer.

I suppose some would call that 'progress'!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 09:01 PM

Most things that you can buy - TV, Washing Machine, Motor Car, Lawn Mower.. - you would expect to get at least a good few years of service out of, but computer technology moves so fast that a machine bought today will probably be out of date in six months......Bugger that!....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 12:21 AM

I'm still running Microsoft Money ..... on Windows 10

IIRC, this is where I got it from when I was running Windows 8 - it transferred to Windows 10 OK but needed a registry fix which was later made permanent by MS.

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/...rs?forum=money

Several versions are available - I use Microsoft Money2005-UK-QFE2.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 04:54 AM

That is because you must have a very old version of M$ Money. I am still running it on Windows 10. It is version 11 (2002 I think) I picked the CD up for a song on eBay.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Another thing is, I think, that as Windows have been 'improved', it has also got much bigger and requires a more powerful computer.

I suppose some would call that 'progress'!
That's not true, Windows 10 was actually smaller and quicker than Windows 7 because they rewrote the code. Windows 7 was bloatware with recycled code from previous versions.

Whether that is still true I don't know.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

16-11-2018, 05:03 AM

Vista was cast adrift last year and I haven't noticed a scrap of difference..... Bring it on microsoft!....
Of course you won't notice any difference it hasn't been changed since April 2017.

On the other hand it was such an unpopular operating system that I doubt that there are enough systems out there worth the time of a hacker to attack.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That is because you must have a very old version of M$ Money. I am still running it on Windows 10. It is version 11 (2002 I think) I picked the CD up for a song on eBay.
Mine is 2005 - Free .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 10:05 AM

Windows 10 isn't particularly heavy with hardware requirements. My Desktop computer is about 5 years old. It's got an i5 processor, 8 gigabytes of RAM, a budget Asrock motherboard and SSD. Not particularly high specifications but still pretty nippy with Windows 10 installed (now version 1809). No need to think about a new computer yet. It was bought with Windows 8.1 installed, upgraded to Windows 10 without parting with any money during the free upgrade period.

I think I had my previous computer (running Windows 7) for more than 5 years.

I'd say the length of time these two computers were used and the cost of running them compares favourably with that of TVs, Washing Machines, Motor Cars, Lawn Mowers..

The last time I actually bought an operating system as a standalone item was when Windows 7 was offered at a pre-release price. That would have been a month or two before its release date of October 2009. It cost about £35 as I remember.

I've had a computer for about 24 years now and it's true that over the time I must have spent a good bit on them. However, I'm sure if the cost of the computers and software was broken down into weekly amounts, they would be amongst the least expensive forms of interest, entertainment and working tools/items a person can get.

Page 7 of 18 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top