Join for free
Page 215 of 370 « First < 115 165 205 213 214 215 216 217 225 265 315 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 12:45 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

A cloudless sky and a milder than usual morning provided me with an excellent run this morning. I was trying to take it steady and save some for tomorrow's run, but a surprisingly fast time was posted on the stopwatch....Didn't catch the runner who was always a quarter mile in front of me though...Maybe tomorrow...

Did you manage to get out yesterday and avoid the rain Surfermom?....I never consider gentle rain as too much bother, but stair rods are a different matter...

By the way Floydy.....The cruise was booked to the Fjords next June....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 03:58 PM

Well done on the run, OGF! Yes, the rain wasn't too bad and I made it looking something like I was wearing a hazmat suit, but miles are miles!

That big yellow orb is teasing warmth with what is actually a very chilly morning that has all the flowering plants surrendering their petals, but at least it isn't raining! I've been digging out all the winter gear (tights and long sleeve tops) to steel myself for the winter to come. Funny, I used to be so adapted to cold weather having lived in Chicago and having attended a hilltop university in Kansas, where the arctic winds blasted us for months and I brilliantly managed to get my ears frost bitten.

It appears I'll be a following you a year behind to Norway, OGF I'm terribly excited! Hope you take good notes. And a hat.

Alright, OFFers, what's new in the exercise world?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 04:33 PM

Walked 3 miles yesterday and about 3½ this morning with my group...not impressive compared with you people!

But sunshine and fresh air and convivial natter, coupled with handing out flyers for my choral society's performance of Messiah which will hopefully be a sellout like last time!
andsome
Burntwood England
andsome is male  andsome has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 04:55 PM

My daily exercise is to get out of bed and have a shower.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 05:43 AM

Ruthio, it sounds like your ankle injury is the thing of the past. Yay! I do have to say I envy you the company sometimes. One of the worst - and best -aspects of running is that you do it alone.

Now as for The Messiah, save me a seat! Better yet, scoot over and I'll sing too....or now that I think about my upper range these days, maybe not .

andsome, if you somehow got up and showered and dressed faster or with more effort, then that's good enough for this bunch!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 01:09 PM

Despite the slice of honey smothered toast last night this mornings run was just another day at the office.....
Well.....more or less! At 7:00am I scampered out of the gate and disappeared into the fog. Leaves and large drops of water anointed my head as I jogged through the wood, traffic queued from the roundabout as far as the eye could see - If I leave the house at six thirty its virtually deserted, but just half an hour later and most of South Yorkshire pass this way - Tiredness was draining down into my legs, but with so many spectators the pace and style still made me look respectable......I hope!

I turned off the main road and into a quiet side street and the chance of a rest from the harrowing pace, but it was not to be. Several people were littered on either side of the road, so perhaps the remote lane would provide me with some respite, nope! Busier than usual, it was occupied by two cyclists, another runner, at least ten dog walkers, a horse (complete with rider) and three old blokes having a natter.

With only a few hundred yards to go I just 'Dug in' and made it home....
Thanks should go to all the folks that turned out during my Friday five mile run, and kept me honest!..
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Walked 3 miles yesterday and about 3½ this morning with my group...not impressive compared with you people!
Nobody is in competition on here Ruthio. Exercise is solely for the individual doing their stuff and you are doing fine with it, believe me.

Originally Posted by andsome ->
My daily exercise is to get out of bed and have a shower.
It's a start bud
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Despite the slice of honey smothered toast last night this mornings run was just another day at the office.....
Well.....more or less! At 7:00am I scampered out of the gate and disappeared into the fog. Leaves and large drops of water anointed my head as I jogged through the wood, traffic queued from the roundabout as far as the eye could see - If I leave the house at six thirty its virtually deserted, but just half an hour later and most of South Yorkshire pass this way - Tiredness was draining down into my legs, but with so many spectators the pace and style still made me look respectable......I hope!

I turned off the main road and into a quiet side street and the chance of a rest from the harrowing pace, but it was not to be. Several people were littered on either side of the road, so perhaps the remote lane would provide me with some respite, nope! Busier than usual, it was occupied by two cyclists, another runner, at least ten dog walkers, a horse (complete with rider) and three old blokes having a natter.

With only a few hundred yards to go I just 'Dug in' and made it home....
Thanks should go to all the folks that turned out during my Friday five mile run, and kept me honest!..
Golly Bob, that sounds like you were running through Donny railway station at rush hour, not along your normally tranquil country roads! At 7am too! Best avoiding peak times matey, but you still managed more than what others would be doing still in bed.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

16-11-2018, 09:02 PM

Friday 16/11/18: Strength session (part 2): Biceps + Cardio; 1hr. 50mins.

Catching right up to date this afternoon with the remainder of my weekend ‘strength-based’ exercise workout (most of which was earlier this week on Wednesday) and it was a good hour solely on the biceps followed by my regular 45-minute cardio session afterwards.
Annotated with some images and smilies for the cardio!

Weights

Preacher curl (standing over bench), alt.:
6x20, 6x22

Arm curl (stack machine), alt.:
15x25

DB concentration curl (seated on bench), alt.:
6x15, 6x15, 6x15, 6x15, 6x15, 6x15
*Six sets of these at the same weight. Just pausing briefly to switch to the opposite arm and carrying on. By the last couple of lifts it was becoming quite a difficult manoeuvre even at this light weight.

Arnold Schwarzenegger there…imagine having biceps like those!

E-Z preacher curl (low pull, close-grip):
15x30.5, 15x30.5, 15x30.5
8x40.5, 8x40.5
5x50.5, 5x50.5
2x55.5
1x60.6
30x18
*This is the killer of all bicep workouts and I certainly took it to the limit of my capabilities today. Multi-sets of increasing weight, isolating the biceps on all lifts and resulting in a maximum arm curl with the bar at over 60 kilos. Just about a personal best there I think. Arms pretty well fit to burst after this exercise but looking monstrously formed.

I had a 5-minute break for a protein bar and moved on to the cardio work…

Cardio

I now seem to have a very workable regimen sorted out for my main weekly cardio session. 45 minutes in total which equates to 10 mins on the rower, 25 treadmill and 10 bike to finish off with.
But being the sorta fella I am, nothing is as straightforward as that. I’m always trying to better myself – and I think we all do as fitness technicians don’t we? – So I now have goals to aim for too, thus I’ll be making notes on my hard copy of my programme I carry with me in the gym and trying to better my previous effort.
This is easily done with the weights died of my routine, but with the cardio instead of going for the calorie count, I’ll see each week if I can beat my previous distance. That will give me a goal to reach instead of mundanely plodding along and becoming bored with it all. So with that in mind I’m adding a second row underneath today’s results to annotate the previous week’s achievement, as noted below:

Rower:
Time: 10mins / Distance: 2.400m
(Last week: Time: 10mins / Distance: 2.231m)
*As before, I change over from the standard ‘overarm’ pulling on this each minute with an underarm pull, which gives the arms a great workout too. Beat last week’s distance easily here too, which is probably due to the underarm pulling following my bicep work earlier.

Treadmill:
Time: 25mins / Distance: 2.64km
(Last week: Time: 25mins / Distance: 2.5km)
Up and down the speed, same with the incline. Walking as fast as I could without breaking into a run and ‘gliding’ instead of jogging which doesn’t put pressure on the joints. I actually reached a full walking speed of 7.5km/h today which is probably the fastest I’ve ever walked! And another increase on last week. More kilometres travelled.

Bike:
Time: 10mins / Distance: 5.24km
(Last week: Time: 10mins / Distance: 5.3km.)
With my legs now very pumped from last week’s mega weights workout I really went for it on the bike today with the feet of the thing nearly toppling over at one stage! I also went onto the highest level, wattage-wise, as well to really power up the strength side of things as if climbing the steepest of hills!

I’m absolutely LOVING this cardio now I’m into it. It’s a great workout and I leave these machine completely exhausted. The shower afterwards is marvellous and the fresh cool air outside is simply exhilarating.
Home for a few bottled beers and a nice Jalfrezi. I might watch the Kurt Russel movie 'Solider' tonight I think

In all then it’s been a great week’s worth of exercise. I’m more than caught up with my programme and I feel so good in myself after the non-eventful previous week and it’s doom and gloom. We begin all this again with a legs session on Sunday.

Thanks for reading. Have a great weekend all.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

16-11-2018, 09:29 PM

Brilliant workout Floydy and excellent description. Love the illustrations, and now I can relate to your exercises.....Mine Got......

Page 215 of 370 « First < 115 165 205 213 214 215 216 217 225 265 315 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top