Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 04:28 PM

Re: Hedgehogs

Originally Posted by Beautiful Filly ->
I am not certain whether or not I've ever actually seen a hedgehog... However, I do watch "The Incredible Doctor Pol" who is a veterinarian in northern Michigan, USA. On his show that I watched last week...someone brought their pet hedgehog to his clinic, for a checkup... OMGoodness, it was just the cutest little guy and it kept trying to hide from the vet by curling up...so adorable.
Our hedgehogs are different to the American species. I believe the Americans keep them as pets, where as here they are mostly in the wild. Don't know if you have them & if so, if they are the same as the American species, will have to Google.
This article is interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domest..._domestication

Apparently there are no wild hedgehogs in America or Canada, but some states do allow the African species as pets. I never knew that.
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Our hedgehogs are different to the American species. I believe the Americans keep them as pets, where as here they are mostly in the wild. Don't know if you have them & if so, if they are the same as the American species, will have to Google.
This article is interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domest..._domestication

Apparently there are no wild hedgehogs in America or Canada, but some states do allow the African species as pets. I never knew that.
I didn't know this either Tiffany...no wonder I've never seen one out and about...
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 06:04 PM

I didn't know this either Tiffany...no wonder I've never seen one out and about...
I have seen what I thought was an American species of hedgehog, as pets on TV. Now I know they are African but bred in America as pets.
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I have seen what I thought was an American species of hedgehog, as pets on TV. Now I know they are African but bred in America as pets.

Interesting, isn't it Tiffany? Thanks to Google, we're always learning...
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

16-10-2018, 11:01 PM

Interesting, isn't it Tiffany? Thanks to Google, we're always learning...
Never too old to learn something aren't we.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 11:21 AM

Today I have discovered my newly built Hog House has a resident!

I was out in the garden and thought I'd check the inside of the hog house so I carefully lifted the lid. All the hay had been moved to one end and the other end had been used as a toilet!

Not realising there was a hog in there I started spreading the hay out again (after cleaning up the poo) and suddenly I could feel heat through the hay. A quick peek and there he/she was, curled up in a ball, fast asleep. I swiftly shut the lid and walked away, leaving it to sleep.

Over the last week I've become convinced there are 2 hogs out there. I am seeing 2 distinct types of poo. I have been seeing a hog feeding on the food I leave out several times a night but sometimes it appears bigger than others. My thinking is there's probably an adult, possibly the mum, and maybe the other is one of this year's hoglets.

The bigger one probably already has a home somewhere as I'm sure the one in my hog house is the smaller one.

I'm chuffed
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
Today I have discovered my newly built Hog House has a resident!

I was out in the garden and thought I'd check the inside of the hog house so I carefully lifted the lid. All the hay had been moved to one end and the other end had been used as a toilet!

Not realising there was a hog in there I started spreading the hay out again (after cleaning up the poo) and suddenly I could feel heat through the hay. A quick peek and there he/she was, curled up in a ball, fast asleep. I swiftly shut the lid and walked away, leaving it to sleep.

Over the last week I've become convinced there are 2 hogs out there. I am seeing 2 distinct types of poo. I have been seeing a hog feeding on the food I leave out several times a night but sometimes it appears bigger than others. My thinking is there's probably an adult, possibly the mum, and maybe the other is one of this year's hoglets.

The bigger one probably already has a home somewhere as I'm sure the one in my hog house is the smaller one.

I'm chuffed
Well done Nicola

When shopping in Waitrose the other day I noticed of the 4 large plastic containers (where shoppers place their green tokens to support a charity) the one for Hedgehog Rescue was almost full while the others were nearly empty so Hedgies are clearly very popular around here
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 01:31 PM

Whoop! There's a second hog!

This newbie is out in the front garden (the other one's out the back). I spotted the newbie last night so put some food and water out and watched from indoors as he/she ate the lot.

This morning I've ordered a ready made hog house for the newbie in case he has nowhere to sleep this winter

This is a pic I took this morning of the original hog, fast asleep in the hog house I built.

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

22-10-2018, 01:38 PM

This newbie is out in the front garden (the other one's out the back). I spotted the newbie last night so put some food and water out and watched from indoors as he/she ate the lot.

This morning I've ordered a ready made hog house for the newbie in case he has nowhere to sleep this winter

This is a pic I took this morning of the original hog, fast asleep in the hog house I built.

Can't see your pic either Nichol.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 04:14 PM

How lovely Nicol I have never heard of a hog house.

I have recruited my grandchildren to place piles of sticks and logs in two corners of their paddock to house hedgehogs
They already have a resident which my grandaughter feeds outside their utility room which is left open for the cats...

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top