Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 06:54 AM

Is this fact or scam? (Microsoft update)

Do we know?

MS Warns Windows 10 Users To Free Up Storage Space For The Big October Update

"Users with small drives may be in for a challenge.

Microsoft is also warning users that Windows Update literally does not verify that enough space is available before commencing. So if the device runs out of space while updating to the next version of Windows 10, the installation simply fails -- and it may not be recoverable. Your data may still be on the drive, but Windows itself is hosed and must be fully reinstalled."

from CNET.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 07:10 AM

Re: Is this fact or scam? (Microsoft update)

It's on Microsoft website so think it's real. Glad you brought this to my attention tabby .
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 08:06 AM

Do we have to have our computer Updated?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 08:14 AM

I'd like to know that too Susie.
I don't like Windows 10, it's system for photos is so fiddly, it takes ages to find what you're looking for!
Always updating and popping things up! I've got McAffee popping up every five minutes too, I wish it hadn't come with my new laptop, can' t get rid of it!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 08:30 AM

Tessa you are so right I can never find anything !
I have to trawl through libraries and goodness know what else .
It's a disasters
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 09:14 AM

Hi ST it is genuine the upgrade code name is Redstone 5.

I hate updates and am not interested in receiving any of them. When I get the message advising about one I always select 'ask me later' and delay any installation as long as possible to allow time for Microsoft to sort out any problems and release solutions.

This is some of the rubbish you can expect from the upgrade...
https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-redstone-5

Here are some tips on the upgrade from Forbes ...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmu.../#2bc89a17512e
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 10:41 AM

You can turn off WIN10 upgrades altogether and permanently if you don't like them.

Personally my only real objection to the updates are that they reset some things that you have set. ie I had to re-turn off the touch screen on my netbook after the last major update.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 10:55 AM

Something I'm going to have to get used to before too long. Thanks for demonstrating that Bruce, it will be the first thing I do when I purchase a new computer.

The second thing will be to delete any third party security programmes on it. McAffee or Norton.....

By the way Bruce, I've been looking at a Lenovo laptop on Amazon that seems like the best buy so far....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
You can turn off WIN10 upgrades altogether and permanently if you don't like them.
The problem with doing that Bruce is if an important update comes along I may not be able to get it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 11:35 AM

I still don't get why it is necessary to update things so often. Even iplayer has just updated again and don't get me started on Apple music.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top