Join for free
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 05:41 PM

Woodlice

Has anyone got any tips for keeping them out of pots?
I've been repotting some plants and sorting pots with last years bulbs in and keep finding lots, I'm not sure if they damage the roots or bulbs. Do they?
Please tell me your tips and experiences, I know links are good but I' d like to know what really works.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 06:01 PM

Re: Woodlice

As far as I know the woodlouse is not a destructive pest as it only feeds on dead and decaying matter and is actually a good recycler, so unless they are in the house then live and let live I say...
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 06:03 PM

I've never known them do any harm.

(I call them Armadillos )
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 06:53 PM

Tessa I have the same problem with woodlice, my tubs are sometimes full of them. I used to mulch the tubs with chipped bark which I think encouraged them so I switched to really fine gravel which helps.
They are not supposed to harm plants but I have read they can damage seedlings and strawberries.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 07:38 PM

I would guess that they get into pots via the drain hole as they seem to live under things. What about raising the pots on feet?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 08:35 PM

I might get tired if I do that LD, I can't stand still for long!

I'll try that but I think they climb.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by tessa ->
i might get tired if i do that ld, i can't stand still for long!

I'll try that but i think they climb.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I would guess that they get into pots via the drain hole as they seem to live under things. What about raising the pots on feet?
LD I have stone troughs at the front which I couldn't possibly lift without doing myself a serious mischief, they sit on gravel. The woodlice climb up the sides, I have seen them .

The other tubs are on little blocks.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top