Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 11:51 PM

Windows 10 PC Networking

Although I've worked with computers since 1969, I have never been a "technical" expert - I am more of a competent user .....

The complexities of networking have always baffled me but, several years ago, I managed to set up a Windows home network across 3 pcs, 2 printers and 3 exchangeable disc drives. Windows HomeGroup was supposed to make networking even easier but, when I used it, the whole network became unstable, so I went back to basics and managed to restore the staus quo (more or less).

Last week I decided to "Reset" a 7-year-old Windows PC, which had started to develop some irregularities. The Reset completed with no problems and so far, I have encountered no significant issues reinstalling required apps.

No data was lost due to the Reset but checking and changing system and app settings is very time-consuming, which I expected.

The one problem that I have yet to resolve is networking. The Reset PC took itself off my local network. Extensive searching on the internet revealed that Windows 10 network problems are common mainly, it seems, because of the use of "services". I have managed to get 2 PCs to see each other but printers were, until recently, invisible. Having achieved some success, I decided to take a break and move back to applications, where progress was much faster.

So, while I was taking stock, over a beer or two, I tried a different search tactic on Windows 10 networking and I found this "tutorial":

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-1ef360e9ffdf

Connecting PC’s & Users for Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10

The Complete Guide for Home Networks and Sharing

Learn it, Master it and Enjoy it. Fast, Secure and Easy

"Revised 6-23-2018 Final"

7 Easy to Understand Detailed Steps
WOW !!! Just what I want, I thought .....

Until I started reading:

Since Windows 10 came out, it has the issue of PC icons missing in Network Folder. One minute they may appear after a restart or Windows Update and the next minute they are missing. And one PC may show them and others not.
..... followed by a mass of corrections, workarounds and alternatives, which may or may not work .....

No wonder I don't understand networking, and it's made completely confusing by the introduction of a surfeit of so-called "services" .....

So I'ven up (for now) and have reverted to the tried and trusted manual transfer systems ......
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 12:39 AM

Re: Windows 10 PC Networking

i found widows10 not the great success Microsoft make it out to be. There are so many features too hard to find out like grove music and the games completely unnecessary just to bulk up the program. Windows 7 was so much better even down to transferring music from Discs, Microsofts biggest cockup of all time is Windows10
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 01:00 AM

My house is wired as a network as well as having WiFi - I have never used Windows Homegroup the system works fine without it why add complications?

All my TVs, printers, PVRs, servers, NASs, repeaters use this network. Windows 10 seems no better nor worse than previous OS as far as networking is concerned (the internal software looks almost exactly the same).

The most important thing is to ensure that only one device is handing out addresses; my repeaters merely hand off to the main router. I have some devices which use fixed addresses so it is important to ensure that these are in the same domain and that there can be no duplicates.

This is a long out of date plan but it gives you the general idea.

The WiFi Extender is just another router with its own fixed address and the DHCP disabled. It actually replaces the TV Room Switch because now only three ports are needed (plus the incoming network line). If I needed the fourth I could modify the WAN input - but why add unneeded complications?)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Network Terminals with plan.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	7666  
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
This is a long out of date plan but it gives you the general idea.

The WiFi Extender is just another router with its own fixed address and the DHCP disabled.
Obviously, you know what you're doing .....

I haven't a clue - I just want a point and click solution from a PC .....
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 11:16 AM

Hi Omah!

Having had some problems with sharing folders between two W10 PCs, I finally got going after following this _

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-116696b20743

It seems that some of the settings were set to manual after Homegroups were killed off.

Anyway, having followed it, I can now set folders to share and go ahead and share them.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 11:20 AM

Note:-

I forgot to mention that I had to do the "Automatics" on both PCs.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

23-10-2018, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Hi Omah!

Having had some problems with sharing folders between two W10 PCs, I finally got going after following this _

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-116696b20743

It seems that some of the settings were set to manual after Homegroups were killed off.

Anyway, having followed it, I can now set folders to share and go ahead and share them.
Many thanks for the link .....

It seems that there are multiple threads complaining about theis issue on the MS site - the thread on your link is the largest and most comprehensive, however.

I've already performed most of the actions mentioned and I now have a visible network of 2 PCs, 1 Printer and my router but all external hard drives are invisible.

I shall now work my way through that MS Post and see what happens .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

23-10-2018, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Note:-

I forgot to mention that I had to do the "Automatics" on both PCs.
Presumably you mean for the services ..... ?

I've tried "Automatic" and "Automatic(Delayed)" - the latter seems to work best for me, but that could change with a different permutation of settings ..... !
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

23-10-2018, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Presumably you mean for the services ..... ?

I've tried "Automatic" and "Automatic(Delayed)" - the latter seems to work best for me, but that could change with a different permutation of settings ..... !
Yes, I meant changing the Manual settings to Automatic.

Once done, you should see both PCs at the bottom of your File Explorer.

As for the files you want to share, you click on the desired file, or folder, and then the "Give Access to" and select Home Users in the people to share with area.

Then you will see all of the folders, you have set to be shared, also at the bottom of the File List.

The old technique, of just setting "Share with, Or Share" seems to have been dumped.

Whatever happened to simplifying stuff?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 02:13 PM

I did the Microft MCSE networking course back in the 90's. Forgotten most of it now though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top