Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 05:27 PM

Re: Irritating Soggy Bottoms!

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
oi, I suggested that first
Yes but I was joking.

Actually, I wasn't.

I also thought of Judd's idea but can't say it now.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes but I was joking.

Actually, I wasn't.

I also thought of Judd's idea but can't say it now.
I was joking but actually I wasn't joking either hehe.
Hey I wish I'd thought of Judds idea, oh and yours of course
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 05:33 PM

Fan ovens do not produce saggy bottoms

shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 05:33 PM

LOL, What a good idea Judd! I will put two more on my shopping list, raise one of the racks, take them out of the foil cases .I might even gently stab the cases to get some holes in them, pop the pies back in and cook them on the raised rack with a baking tray underneath the rack. I think I may well need to put some foil over the tops half-way through though as the top of my oven will be hotter and the tops would end up burnt.

Thank you very much for that tip.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Fan ovens do not produce saggy bottoms

Is that really true Azure? does that include a pie in a foil case as well. I have a double oven, one of which is a fan assisted oven. But hardly ever use it! I never knew that!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

28-10-2018, 05:44 PM

I may try that too Azure (4 on the shopping list). but on a baking tray without the foil cases. thank you
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

28-10-2018, 05:48 PM

Judd, hope you don't mind me asking, have you actually tried cooking pies on the raised rack method? Isn't there a risk that if placed directly onto the rack out of their foil cases, the rack not fully supporting them like a flat baking tray which supports their weight, may cause the bottoms to open as they reach the soggy bottom stage during cooking?
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Is that really true Azure? does that include a pie in a foil case as well. I have a double oven, one of which is a fan assisted oven. But hardly ever use it! I never knew that!
I use my fan oven for all oven cooking and never have Pies with soggy bottoms

They are put on a baking tray first.with or without foil.

Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Judd, hope you don't mind me asking, have you actually tried cooking pies on the raised rack method? Isn't there a risk that if placed directly onto the rack out of their foil cases, the rack not fully supporting them like a flat baking tray which supports their weight, may cause the bottoms to open as they reach the soggy bottom stage during cooking?
I treated myself to a copper coated oven rack/tray combo set from QVC. The rack actually looks like a large rectangular chip basket about 12" x 8" The grid is about a quarter inch and has legs on it to raise above the tray. I cook everything on it now especially pork steaks, chicken drumsticks and Quorn nuggets as they won't be swimming in their own fat as they cook. Everything has cooked perfectly thus far. Haven't tried it on pies (can't have them any more. sniff ) but have used on pizzas in a moment of weakness and they come out nice and crisp on the bottom.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

28-10-2018, 06:33 PM

Wow, that sounds just the job Judd. I know I have a load of different racks in the cupboard and i'm sure I have a round rack with smaller gaps.
Thanks.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top