Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 07:43 PM

Hope for Laboratory Animals

Not sure whether this should be in 'Science' or 'Pets'?

Anyhow, I have just read something which could be really, really good news.

I'll quote the article:

"A team at Cambridge Uiversity has created a songe-like structure for human cells to grow into.

It lets the cells develop naturally and could mean drugs no longer need to be tested on animals.

The technology will first be used to grow brain and gut tissue and find out how signals pass between them.

Dr. Katy Taylor, of Cruelty Free International, said : "We are very excited to see progress in organs on a chip technology."

Wouldn't it be a dream come true if the helpless laboratory animals became a thing of the past.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 07:45 PM

Re: Hope for Laboratory Animals

Good, but I wonder if the brain tissue will be able to think! EEEK!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

I'll quote the article:

"A team at Cambridge Uiversity has created a songe-like structure for human cells to grow into.

It lets the cells develop naturally and could mean drugs no longer need to be tested on animals.

The technology will first be used to grow brain and gut tissue and find out how signals pass between them.

Dr. Katy Taylor, of Cruelty Free International, said : "We are very excited to see progress in organs on a chip technology."

Wouldn't it be a dream come true if the helpless laboratory animals became a thing of the past.
It's definitely a step in the right direction Mups, particularly when it comes to unnecessary testing for beauty products and perfumes (Surely we have enough information on that to be able to stop it). It sounds like the boffins are finally taking note.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 07:57 PM

It sounds a good step forward Mups
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 09:20 PM

I'll quote the article:

Good news.

I'm certainly no trendy snowflake, but it does upset me thinking about animal experiments.

In fact, I'm surprised that we haven't progressed beyond that before now.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 09:33 PM

I'll quote the article:

It would be a memorable day indeed Mups....
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 09:43 PM

a positive step in the right direction for sure Mups xxx
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 09:50 PM

A big step in the right direction ....
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 10:14 PM

Still too much of this going on, but any advancement always has to be a positive.

Here is another company. All for beautiful women, or should I say, ugly women who want to be beautiful

ADI
Although working with a company aiming to produce cruelty free Botox by 2020, British retailer Superdrug - who announced it was bringing Botox to the high street in August - will use an animal tested product until then. Mice suffocate and die during Botox batch tests, the toxin causing paralysis of the muscles used to breathe. Please join us in politely urging Superdrug to stop offering Botox until the cruelty free alternative is available: www.superdrug.com/contact

One person who wrote to Superdrug, and got the following response obviously no change in the near future)

They said due to regulations as Botox is medical they have to test on animals however hey are working with leading market people to find a cruelty free method.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 10:20 PM

Latest figures reveal that the use of animals in research in Northern Ireland has INCREASED to 21,247, a rise of 14%. Mice were the most used species in 2017, with 60% of ALL procedures being conducted on these small but thinking, feeling animals. Cows were also used in high numbers, representing around one quarter (6,241) of all experiments. Looking at the type of research animals were used in, almost 60% of procedures were for basic research. There is no legal requirement for this, its application to human health unspecified before research takes place. With species differences making animal use unreliable - and even the effects of animals even being in a laboratory - it is troubling to see this marked rise in animal procedures. Advanced non-animal alternatives avoid these fundamental differences and misleading results.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top