Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 04:54 PM

Re: Feeding your local birds.

Lots of Sparrows there. Super video.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 09:36 PM

I feed my Birds 3 times a day, as we have so many in our garden.
Must be about 20 Sparrows who sleep in our Privet Hedge at night, loads of Jackdaws, Magpies, Pigeons, Blue tits, Great Tits, Robins, Blackbirds, Squirrels.

It won't be long now and the Jackdaws will disappear for the winter, they will be back again about March, but they are really greedy birds.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 11:22 PM

Lovely pictures Mr. Fraggle.
What a feeding frenzy!

I stopped feeding the birds a few months back because I had a rat problem.

I have not long started feeding again, but only putting out enough so that none is left out over night.

I use 3 tables, plus a hanging feeder, because if I fed on the floor my dogs would pinch it.

I have a couple of big fat Pigeons, Collared Doves, Wrens, Robins, a Blackbird, and not sure if they are Dunnocks or Sparrows they are so quick. Also I think it is a little Coal tit I have seen sometimes too.

It is an area for Red Kites too, but they don't come down into the garden. I see and hear them most days circling round making that funny noise they make, sometimes there's two or three together circling.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

I stopped feeding the birds a few months back because I had a rat problem.

I have not long started feeding again, but only putting out enough so that none is left out over night.

I use 3 tables, plus a hanging feeder, because if I fed on the floor my dogs would pinch it.

I have a couple of big fat Pigeons, Collared Doves, Wrens, Robins, a Blackbird, and not sure if they are Dunnocks or Sparrows they are so quick. Also I think it is a little Coal tit I have seen sometimestoo.

It is an area for Red Kites too, but they don't come down into the garden. I see and hear them most days circling round making that funny noise they make, sometimes there's two or three together circling.
You are so lucky to see Red Kites regularly, we have none here.
I stopped feeding the birds also due to a rat problem. I will start again soon & hope the rats have gone now.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
You are so lucky to see Red Kites regularly, we have none here.
I stopped feeding the birds also due to a rat problem. I will start again soon & hope the rats have gone now.

Yes, I am lucky with so many Kites around here, Tiff.
About 4 or 5 miles away there is a big industrial rubbish dump, and when I drove past there a few months back, I counted 11 Kites circling over that place.
I have never seen that many together before, or since, but I see at least one, most days.

Sometimes when one is about, the other birds start making a lot of noise, and flying about erratically.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2018, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I feed my Birds 3 times a day, as we have so many in our garden.
May I suggest that rather than feed three times a day you change that every other day as birds can become to dependent on your provision of food.
I do this during the summer months but increase it to daily during winter.

What a feeding frenzy! I stopped feeding the birds a few months back because I had a rat problem..
I had a couple of rats find calling and eat the bits of food dropped bybthe birds which I not mind so much but I have neighbours that would moan so as I knew where their nest was, which was under next doors shed, I laid poison and have not seen any since though my cat Millie did get one the other day. I also note that I have a fox that comes calling so that will help keep any rats down.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2018, 07:32 AM

I don't feed the birds because I have cats and I don't want them to come to my garden and be their next victim. I feed ducks in my stream though and the local duck pond ....the cats are scared of ducks.

We have a family of Kingfishers by the duck pond too...I see them now and then flashing by. I hate Red Kites we have loads of them round here.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

12-11-2018, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
May I suggest that rather than feed three times a day you change that every other day as birds can become to dependent on your provision of food.
I do this during the summer months but increase it to daily during winter.

I had a couple of rats find calling and eat the bits of food dropped bybthe birds which I not mind so much but I have neighbours that would moan so as I knew where their nest was, which was under next doors shed, I laid poison and have not seen any since though my cat Millie did get one the other day. I also note that I have a fox that comes calling so that will help keep any rats down.

Mr. Fraggle, just a word of warning about baiting rats.

My oldest dog almost died several years back. I had to get her to the emergency vets at 1 o/clock in the morning.
She was vomitting blood continually.
She was put on a drip immediately but they didn't expect her to see morning.
She made it though, and is still here today to tell the tale, but if I hadn't rushed her in when I did, she'd have been a gonna.

I shall never know exactly what happened, she couldn't get to the bait (which was laid by a professional pest controller), we can only think she ate other creatures, maybe mice, that had taken the poison.

You saying about your cat catching them reminded me of how badly wrong it can go, laying bait. Please be very careful.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 05:30 AM

Mr. Fraggle, just a word of warning about baiting rats.

My oldest dog almost died several years back. I had to get her to the emergency vets at 1 o/clock in the morning.
She was vomitting blood continually.
She was put on a drip immediately but they didn't expect her to see morning.
She made it though, and is still here today to tell the tale, but if I hadn't rushed her in when I did, she'd have been a gonna.

I shall never know exactly what happened, she couldn't get to the bait (which was laid by a professional pest controller), we can only think she ate other creatures, maybe mice, that had taken the poison.

You saying about your cat catching them reminded me of how badly wrong it can go, laying bait. Please be very careful.
This scenario did occur to me but as Millie does not eat her kills I thought provided I was careful where I placed the poison on the balance of probability it would be safe enough. This was done weeks ago and all is well.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 10:12 AM

We only feed the birds in winter with peanuts and sunflower seeds.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top