Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 08:19 PM

Re: Taking care of the street people

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Chris Kitch wrote her life story , pavement for my pillow , it tells of 20+ years of drink and drugs and living on London streets . She tells us NOT to give money to homeless people . Read her book it is incredible. She chose to get help and went into rehab and now lives on a barge on the Thames .

I do hear what Realist is saying and believe it to be true .

Unless an addict is prepared to get and accept the help they can't change their life .

We have homeless here in our town , I know of some who have places to stay yet they still beg , I won't give money
But they are not ALL drug addicts and alcoholics, read Julie's post. We cannot paint them all with the same brush. I know of a teen boy who was kicked out of his home by his cruel parents. He never took drugs or alcohol...he survived two years, then went to the Salvation Army and got some help, and eventually went on to college and university, and he is a now a Professional with a lovely home, wife and chidren....
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I can not imagine,WB,what life is like on the street,I know I couldn't survive it,they are treated in London,by some people,quite badly,I have often watched their stories on YouTube,when they ask for money,usually it's to feed their habit,WB,..very sad,they need more people like you,
Thank you Pauline.....

I know I couldn't survive it, I would be terrified...I wouldn't last a minute........I am afraid I would become an alcoholic to numb the pain if I was out there fighting for my life.......
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

15-11-2018, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
That's so good, WB. We have an excellent former minister who advocates for the homeless with our local government and coordinates all of the organizations so they can get the support they need.

There will always be some people on the streets. The best we can do is provide them an avenue - without fear or judgement - to resources when/if they want them.

In the meantime, we keep banging the drum for more neurological healthcare access.

Thank you and keep at it, WB. There will always be a need!
Thank you Surfermom, I appreciate your post......we do need more resources.

When I was a child, or a teen, we never heard of street people........

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top