Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 06:42 PM

Buying Wine

I just a moan to customer services in Tesco.

I wanted to treat myself to a bottle of wine. Nothing extraordinary, just a pleasant medium dry wine.
Could I find one? Could I 'eck!

They used to have tickets along the shelves which indicated Dry/Sweet/ Medium dry etc, but these have all gone.

Instead we have a description of which exotic fruits it reminded the professional 'Taster' of.

You know the sort of thing . . . . "An aroma of fresh pineapples and Pomegranites, with undertones of the finest Indian Mangoes, and just a hint of fine organic strawberries from the Highgrove estates."
Blah . . . blah . . .

All I wanted to know is whether the damn stuff is a sweet wine or dry, bugger all that fancy talk which mostly only makes sense to a professional connoisseur anyway!

I couldn't care less whether H.R.H. talked to the organic strawberries in it, or whether the fruit came from a far away land island I've never heard of - I just want to know whether it is sickly sweet or tart and dry before I hand over me cash!

If I ignore the shelf label and read the bottle label itself, it's even worse!

So I complained, and you know what? The lady agreed with me and said she would mention it to management.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 06:47 PM

Re: Buying Wine

It's difficult to choose isn't it mups unless you know a particular wine . I like blossom hill merlot and always buy it . I do try others but always like this one . Hardy's wine is nice too .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 06:53 PM

Well done Mups

I love a glass of wine with my dinner and being Diabetic I can only have dry ones. A few years ago they stopped saying whether is was sweet or dry on the label so it stopped me buying a new one to try & I stick to the ones that I know are dry.

They even used to have a numbering system from 1 to 6 to tell you how sweet or dry it was.

How can new vineyards hope to sell their new wines if nobody knows how sweet or dry it is.

I am sure there is a reason for not having the level of sweetness on the label, but it would be nice to hear what it is.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 06:57 PM

I tend to buy a Chardonnay, always seems to be a pleasant medium dry to me but that, I'm afraid, is the sum total of my expertise ....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 07:00 PM

I wouldn't normally endorse posh shops but M&S do a beautiful Chiliean red wine about £12 a bottle.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 07:00 PM

Mups, l thought all the wines had numbers on the shelf to denote their dryness, sweetness. No 1 being dry.
If l am not familiar with a wine, whilst in the supermarket, l check it out on my phone for reviews.
I like Oyster Bay, Sauvignon Blanc. I don’t buy cheap wines as they are what they are, the money. . I buy the dearer wines when they are on offer.
I have just bought a 12 case of red and white wine from Laithwaites for Christmas as it was a good price. £54.99 for 12 bottles plus another two bottles free and two glasses.

I have also made 2 gallons of Elderflower wine as it is very medicinal! It’s bubbling away in the demijohns.

I know this sounds like l drink a lot but l don’t, as l can’t take it! Or is that what all alcoholics say?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 08:00 PM

I only know about German white wine, it is sweet and fruity, like me.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I only know about German white wine, it is sweet and fruity, like me.
Sweetie, Please don’t say, you drink Liebfraumilch?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Sweetie, Please don’t say, you drink Liebfraumilch?
No Piesporter Art.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

14-11-2018, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
No Piesporter Art.
That’s slightly better!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top