Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 11:36 AM

Hailstones!

Back in July we had a particularly violent shower of hailstones - lasting about half an hour - and sounding like a gun fight.

A few days later my Westie owning friend noticed holes in the outer layer of her conservatory roof. Her insurance people said they had been completely swamped with claims for damage to cars, car ports and conservatories following the storm - but it was agreed that the roof would be done today - the earliest possible date!

Men arrived promptly and now the old roof is laid on her driveway. The holes looked bad enough when looked up at from ground level - but seeing them close to is quite scary. The smallest of them is 2 inches across!!

Who would have thought that hailstones could do so much damage? Nature can be quite savage!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 11:44 AM

Re: Hailstones!

Nature can be worryingly violent can't it, sounds like they could have killed if they'd hit someone !
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 11:47 AM

Goodness Tabby, I never thought they could.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 12:01 PM

when we lived in south Africa the storms where quite violent
my son then was 5 terrified him and he's brother ' one night we experienced hailstorm -and now I know why people there garage their cars ' my hubbys boss had his car dented so badly it had to be scrapped -so he had warned us about them .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 12:23 PM

Have you ever seen a bald man when there’s a hailstorm? Holding onto his head, the hailstones must really hurt!
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 08:08 PM

Hi Silver....

We get hail here also, some about the size of a golf ball at times, but they last only minutes....and we have to dive for cover or cover out heads.....

We get about two hail storms each winter.

Today we are expecting our first snow storm of the season. but by tomorrow night, we are getting a mix of snow and rain......we never know what will come out of that, depending on how cold it gets....

Our weather is always so changeable. This is the first year in a long time we had a beautiful Autumn.....I enjoyed every minute of it, but I better dig out my heavy parkas and boots tonight.....

Nice to see you my friend ... bit hug for you.....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 08:25 PM

I am so impressed with the firm that have done this re-roofing. They arrived exactly when they said they would at 9:00am - three strong men and two big vans loaded with equipment. They said they would be finished by 3:30pm and they were. We made them tea to start with, they took it turns to stop for their lunch break, and they refused a second cup tea until the job was done.

Taking off the old roof damaged part of the guttering - so they replaced ALL the guttering and put in a new down pipe as well. After the new roof was on - they used a smoke gun to check for any gaps/bubbles in the seal. They vacuumed the floor, cleaned all the UPVC frames, swept the drive and took away all the rubbish. The conservatory looks as good as it did when new!

Apparently in our area alone they had done over 300 roofs that had been damaged by the hailstones.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 08:51 PM

I remember that storm too ST, my sons girlfriends car was damaged by the hail, she hasn’t had it long either.. she’s not claimed on the insurance, deciding she can live with the damage, ( it’s only noticeable when viewed really close) thank goodness mines kept in the garage
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I remember that storm too ST, my sons girlfriends car was damaged by the hail, she hasn’t had it long either.. she’s not claimed on the insurance, deciding she can live with the damage, ( it’s only noticeable when viewed really close) thank goodness mines kept in the garage
Yes, there was a hail storm here a few years ago, Before I moved here which damaged lots of cars.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Have you ever seen a bald man when there’s a hailstorm? Holding onto his head, the hailstones must really hurt!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top