Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2012, 06:41 PM

Re: The Italian cruise ship disaster.

It's just been announced that they have now called off the search for any more bodies amongst the wreckage as the wreck is moving too much and there is danger for the divers.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2012, 07:56 PM

Will you be watching the programme tonight UJ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2012, 09:20 AM

Yes Janela darlin' - I saw it, didn't tell us much more than we didn't already know except to expand on the telephone conversation between the Captain and the Senior Commander of the Coast Guard. That conversation confirmed what an evil, cowardly little s**t the Captain was.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2012, 01:26 PM

I also saw the programme last night, and what strikes you immediately, is that amidst all the chaos, its incredible that many more people were not killed or drowned. How some of them poor souls interviewed will ever get over the experience is heartbreaking.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

01-02-2012, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
I also saw the programme last night, and what strikes you immediately, is that amidst all the chaos, its incredible that many more people were not killed or drowned. How some of them poor souls interviewed will ever get over the experience is heartbreaking.

Yes John with the lack of organisation and the delays before they finally decided to abandon ship, it is a wonder that not that many (comparatively speaking) died.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

27-02-2012, 07:16 PM

Look what I've found on 'internet' news this evening:

Distress: Costa Cruise Ship Adrift After Fire
Sky NewsSky News – 24 minutes ago

Email
Print

Related Content

Distress: Costa Cruise Ship Adrift After FireEnlarge Photo

Distress: Costa Cruise Ship Adrift After Fire

Another ship in the same fleet as wrecked Costa Concordia has sent out a distress signal after a fire left it adrift off the Seychelles, the Italian coastguard has said.

The Costa Allegra , carrying more than 1,000 people, is drifting without power in the Indian Ocean after a fire broke out in the engine room, reports have said.

The Italian coastguard has said that all passengers are safe and the fire is now out.

Cargo ships near the Allegra have been sent to help by the Italian coastguard. The Seychelles is sending a motorboat, a plane and two tugboats to the scene, Coast Guard Cmdr Cosimo Nicastro told SkyTG24 TV.

It is not clear if the passengers will have to be evacuated.

The ship owner Costa Crociere said in a statement there were no injuries or casualties among the 636 passengers and 413 crew members. The company said crew were working to "restore functionality" to the ship.

Costa said the fire aboard the Allegra broke out in near the ship's electric generators.

"The shipboard fire-extinguishing system and procedures were promptly activated and the special firefighting units intervened to extinguish (the) fire," Costa's statement said.

"The fire did not spread to any other area of the ship. There were no injuries or casualties," Costa said. It did not say what caused the fire.

The cruise company said that a general emergency alarm was "promptly sounded" as a precaution, and that all passengers and crew not involved in the emergency reached muster stations.

The ship was about 20 miles from Alphonse Island, one of the atolls in the Seychelles, a nation of islands and atolls that is a popular tourist destination. The Allegra's webcam is currently offline.

Costa Crociere was plunged into the spotlight recently after its liner the Costa Concordia was wrecked off the Italian island of Giglio.

Twenty-five people were killed with the Concordia ran aground on January 13 as Captain Francesco Schettino allegedly performed a "salute" to the people of the Tuscan island.

Seven others are still missing and presumed dead. More than 4,200 passengers and crew were evacuated.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2012, 09:32 PM

Costa had 3 accidents in 2 years

Costa Europa Accident

Feb 2010
A luxury cruise liner has crashed into a dock at the Egyptian Red Sea resort of Sharm al-Sheikh, killing three members of the crew, officials say.

At least four other people were hurt when the Costa Europa, carrying 1,473 passengers, came into the harbour during bad weather at 0445 (0145 GMT).
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

06-03-2012, 08:45 AM

Ron matey, clearly the helmsman was not a student of Jon Pertwee "Left hand down a bit".
Milo
Cyprus
Milo is female  Milo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2012, 09:09 AM

While the Captain will take full responsibility for this tragedy and remembering that cruise liners rarely sink, it's people ferries that tend to more due to design!

I think we will find Costa Cruises themselves much more culpable than they are admitting. Company policy in allowing the Captain to sail close to shore a few times before, will put them much more in the firing line.

There is something lax about this cruise company which is owned by Carnival cruises as I went with them on a cruise in the Far East this time last year. I have been on a number of cruise liners, this one wasn't one of the best, but ok. Then it dawns on you that things are different. They charge at least half the prices pp that other cruise liners do for the same locations, to do that they need to cut corners! This they did often!

But we had a frightening experience with them one day, along with hundreds of others caught out to sea on a tender which should never have been in the water in those conditions, it's too long to explain but many on that small tender thought it was the end for them.

When we got safely back on board, the whole episode was glossed over, when I wrote to head office after complaining about the risk to passengers lives and how it was treated so badly, they never even replied.

Because of this we wouldn't ever go on board one of their ships again, I stupidly ignored their accident record beforehand, there was another in October 2010 in China pictures on YouTube. Somehow they appear to recruit personnel not qualified for the jobs! IMO

To loose lives like this just isn't possible on liners without huge human error. When we step on board a boat or a plane we rely on qualified people to steer us to our destinations correctly. How are we to know if they aren't upto par?

Won't put me off different modes of travel but I will do much more research in future. Costa cruises will be lucky to survive this dreadful disaster.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top