Join for free
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2012, 04:58 PM

Harz Mountains, Germany.

Have any of you ever been there. I'm thinking of going there next year and would appreciate any advice re best place to stay, what to see, etc.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2012, 06:46 PM

Re: Harz Mountains, Germany.

Sorry Alan I haven't done Germany, but if you want to ask me about Skegness......
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2012, 08:17 PM

Sorry Plantman, Skeggy is not on my itinerary.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2012, 08:22 PM

Sorry Alan, I haven't been to Germany either...... however I did google it and it looks a lovely area.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Have any of you ever been there. I'm thinking of going there next year and would appreciate any advice re best place to stay, what to see, etc.
Alan matey, go a little further South-East into the Tatra Mountains in the border between Southern Poland and Northern Slovakia -an area I know very well - Google Grand Hotel Stary Smokovec and you'll see what I mean.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 03:12 AM

Alan, not only have I been to Germany, but I've lived there. Once for two years in West Germany in a place called Soest. That's what where the Mohne Dam is, that the Dam Busters ravaged during World War II.

I also lived in Berlin for two years and, if I were to recommend anywhere in Germany, it would be Berlin. It is absolutely fantastic.

Also, I would recommend Bernkastel Kues in the Mosel Valley, especially in September. That's where the best wine is made. You could take a trip by boat on the Mosel, up the Rhine and see some fantastic sights.

I'd love to go back to any of these places in Germany.
Erinaceous
East Anglia
Erinaceous is male  Erinaceous has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2012, 02:19 PM

The Harz is a GREAT region!

We stay at an inexpensive self catering place, Ferienpark Hahnenklee, that is close to the shops and close to Goslar, a BEEUTIFUL city with a wonderful shopping centre and fab medieval architecture.

There's some “great days” out places nearby (and a house of ill repute that we took for a B&B place we inadvertently stayed on one night when the car broke down – but that's another story!) there's mines to visit and even go into, there's “Schnellimbiß” places that serve the best of the wurst (ouch!) and scenery to beat the band.

And the cakes. And the food in general.

Nice people too. In my opinion less straight laced “Kinder, Küche, Kirche” than the South.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2012, 09:46 AM

i done my winter warfare course in the hartz mountains,
lived in an igloo for 3 days,
a nice area to visit

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top