Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2012, 11:49 PM

Re: Back from Algonquin Park

What a lovely type of holiday. It looks like a lot of fun.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 10:27 AM

Lovely photos, the canoes reminded me of Swallows And Amazons.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by pixie ->
we went up there a few years ago amazing place sutch wilderness we went to penbrook the weather has been wonderfull did you see any black bears
Hi Ann - no, but there was a "Bear in Area" warning sign at the gate when we checked in. We kept all foodstuffs and even toothpaste in the bear-proof barrel which my brother-in-law hoisted up over a tree limb about 20 ft off the ground every evening. We also take pepper spray just in case, and wear bells if hiking away from the site. My OH jokes that the bears call the spray 'seasoning'.

We once had a moose wander past in the shallows at dawn but otherwise only see squirrels, rabbits, and sometimes beavers and loons on the lake. The silly loons are nocturnal - they woke us every night with their calling!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2012, 09:09 AM

Oh Annie darlin' you had moose wandering by and didn't eat (Moose) Venison steaks???
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Oh Annie darlin' you had moose wandering by and didn't eat (Moose) Venison steaks???
I've had elk but found it dry and less flavourful than beef. As for that particular moose, 'twas HUGE and all we could have attacked/annoyed it with were sticks and stones.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2012, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
I've had elk but found it dry and less flavourful than beef. As for that particular moose, 'twas HUGE and all we could have attacked/annoyed it with were sticks and stones.
Annie darlin' - you didn't cook it right, you need to marinade the meat first, and strain off the meat, toss in flour, flash fry with an onion for a few minutes then place in a slow cooker or casserole dish to complete the cooking.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

29-07-2012, 01:50 PM

Annie darlin' - you didn't cook it right, you need to marinade the meat first, and strain off the meat, toss in flour, flash fry with an onion for a few minutes then place in a slow cooker or casserole dish to complete the cooking.
What cut of meat? The elk I had was "burgers" and we grilled them but even with garnishes they were almost tasteless.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

29-07-2012, 01:54 PM

Annie darlin' - side of the Elk or a rump steak should do fine - no burgers are no good - they've already been 'processed' - you need clean fresh steaks.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

29-07-2012, 01:56 PM

Annie darlin' - side of the Elk or a rump steak should do fine - no burgers are no good - they've already been 'processed' - you need clean fresh steaks.
Well I know where to buy the meat so may give it a try. Marinate overnight?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

29-07-2012, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
Well I know where to buy the meat so may give it a try. Marinate overnight?
Yes Annie darlin' - overnight is fine. For the marinade, you can use a fairly strong red wine (Port is ideal), but you can make your own too with equal parts of Worcester sauce, Soy sauce, and Balsamic vinegar.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top