Join for free
Page 14 of 21 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 08:00 AM

Re: Polite discourse vs hostility and rudeness

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->
Of all the posts on this matter MKJ I think that yours has been the most sensible and even handed one.
It is pretty obvious to me that you have a handle on all the nuances of forum life. Well done, and if I owned this place I would want you to be my mod. No Bullslip.
Its good but it would appeal to men more as they seem to be able to shrug things off more easily.

I hate reporting anyone and never have on this forum .
The reporting button can be abused as it was on Sagazone and indeed on other forums
A clique of friends just continually report one poster they don't like or disagree with and poor moderation starts to think if so many people report this person something must be wrong .
It's very easy to do I call it engineered fouls .
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 09:38 AM

I like the forum (and the current level of moderation) as it is. Occasionally someone will overstep the mark and make childish and/or scatological comments, but I think that the vast majority of forum members see clearly that such comments reflect badly on the poster and lessen the respect others have for their views. I'm a believer in freedom of speech, which means freedom for those who oppose you as well as those who support you. Also, I love a good, passionate argument!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I like this idea
Usually if I think a post is good I just quote it and say well said
The reporting button can be abused as it was on Sagazone and indeed on other forums
A clique of friends just continually report one poster they don't like or disagree with and poor moderation starts to think if so many people report this person something must be wrong .
As can the like /dislike button, I have seen it used to intimidate people.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Occasionally someone will overstep the mark and make childish and/or scatological comments, but I think that the vast majority of forum members see clearly that such comments reflect badly on the poster and lessen the respect others have for their views.
I quite agree Mike how people write in posts reveals a useful insight into their character.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I like the forum (and the current level of moderation) as it is. Occasionally someone will overstep the mark and make childish and/or scatological comments, but I think that the vast majority of forum members see clearly that such comments reflect badly on the poster and lessen the respect others have for their views. I'm a believer in freedom of speech, which means freedom for those who oppose you as well as those who support you. Also, I love a good, passionate argument!!
Couldn't agree more Mick.
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 10:23 AM

It seems that there is an influx of posters from other forums who seem to bring their problems with them. It is a shame and I think all new members should leave behind their experiences on other sites and enjoy the freedom that this site offers to opine without offence. I would hate to see this site develop like others have done and I am sure with Mags and Megs help AZZ would never allow it to. Azz has produced some wonderful sites and as much as I love Dogsey this comes second best. Thank you AZZ. ......and Mags and Meg of course!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 10:26 AM

Just a word in favour of the report button - if it wasn't there the forum would be covered in kitchens and various other spam adverts, mods can't be expected to read every post so reporting them is sometimes only way to get rid of them.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 10:33 AM

Its good but it would appeal to men more as they seem to be able to shrug things off more easily.

Quite correct Muddy, I had it on one forum all the time. The inner clique of friends arranged , normally on a Sunday evening, a group complaint against me . Then I would get the suspended from the Mod on Monday morning. Then I would contact the Mod and asked what was wrong with my post and she would post back that she thought the post was fine, but as so many people complained there must have been something wrong with it.
Same on the last forum, post removed. I contact Mod and ask why it was removed. She posts back, I don't know as I never read it, but we had a lot of complaints.!!!
Forums become, it is not what is posted but who posts it, and when some get the power kiss a level playing field goodbye.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Moyra ->
It seems that there is an influx of posters from other forums who seem to bring their problems with them. It is a shame and I think all new members should leave behind their experiences on other sites and enjoy the freedom that this site offers to opine without offence. I would hate to see this site develop like others have done and I am sure with Mags and Megs help AZZ would never allow it to. Azz has produced some wonderful sites and as much as I love Dogsey this comes second best. Thank you AZZ. ......and Mags and Meg of course!
Moyra, I agree on this one.
People's problems/experiences with other members on another site have no relevance on a new site. To drag it onto here and pursue it, is out of order and actually, quite ignorant.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Moyra ->
The recent influx of posters were in fact very sound sensible people and a great asset to any forum. Shame most have come and gone and no they were not my posting friends as they are more serious than myself.
Sad loss for here if they have left, how some cannot handle change.

Page 14 of 21 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top