Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 08:15 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Ba gum your in great form my Gummy Chummy.
I love the sea yarns, the first book I ever read from cover to cover was a tale of the sea, ‘Dick Charvey’ about a boy stowaway who becomes trapped in the hold of a ship on a three month voyage, a survival story really. I would have liked to read it again today after all those years but it can’t be found anywhere, a ripping yarn, I think it was written by the stowaway himself as a man, it was published back in 1880 and was in my granny’s book collection, and God only knows what happened to that.

Everybody must be feeling the Winter blues coming on, nice and quiet around here lately.
As for myself another week or two should finish the work I have lined up for Christmas, I keep telling folks I’m retired but I may as well be talking to the wall, and Phyllis always has something to do for me from her mates, she’s like a lady lord mayor around here she knows everyone.

Perhaps a few Winter Tales in the making?
David Essex, I used to like him singing.
Didn’t he sing a Welch song called “Myfanwy”?
No It’s not what you think it is, I believe it’s a girls name pronounced ‘Mif an wee’
My God that’s even worse.

gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 10:45 PM

On board we clambered armed with esky of beer cans and some homemade sannies. A nice breeze was about – quite keen and we took off without a care in the world and each of us ‘lads’ taking turns at learning to handle a 37 footer instead of a 12 footer. The big yacht was much more fun and strangely easier to handle. The warm summer day turned into a relaxing beer guzzling cigar smoking nautical afternoon. We had lost all track of time and weather until?.........to be contd!!

As we lazed about, the designated skipper called out ‘we’ve run out of wind; the sails are just flappin about”! so we had. Alarm slowly set it – the sun was setting at an alarming rate and we couldn’t make out land or the yacht club at all. What to do now? Three of us didn’t have a clue so it was left to the marine engineer – well after all he was into marines!! “were’s the bloody engine? He called out “look for the feckin engine : it has to be here somewhere” No, clean as a whistle – no engine to be seen – we search high and low – all around but stumped.

Then my mates alcohol soaked brain slowly kicked into overdrive – “It’s gotta be below decks somewhere” he shouted. Must be a pretty small engine I thought to be stowed below decks and then lifted out . “I’ll go below” I shouted from the stern. “No you bloody fool” he barked “not that below decks” he barked – “it’s hung on a cradle that swivels up and down at the back somewhere” – well by this time sheer panic had set in the yacht was floundering and so were we and I’d started humming the Lost Mariner!
He finally located it, and up she swung and burst into life throwing us all over the place and hanging on for dear life. Then he realized we were now sailing under engine with the sails still fully extended – not a good idea – the sails would now slow us down. He asked his own son of 14 to take the wheel, who refused instantly and vanished below decks. He then grabbed my son – fine strapping brave lad just like his terrified dad. He really had no option, so took the wheel and said “where too?” as one would under such circumstances. “ See that little light in the distance me mate said ?” “which one said my lad I can see hundreds “ “ no the brightest one of all well head for that “ it looked miles away. He then called out to me ”right we’ve now got to get these sails down in a hurry whist still moving” – “could we stop and do it I meekly enquired ? – well sounded like a reasonable idea to me. But he was now in a blue funk panic and not thinking straight – but he WAS the skipper. So I followed instructions and assisted. Occasionally I would glance back at my lad who was hanging on for grim death and trying to see the brightest light ahead.

Finally; finally we got the sails down and my mate took over the wheel and calmed down to appear unruffled as we motored towards the bright light. He then said to me “ feck I can’t remember where to moor it when we get close in?” “Can’t help ya there skip says I” and then to our relief the friendly ‘put put put’ of a smaller engine coming towards us. The poor boat boy had been waiting for our return and would not leave his post until we had returned! – we relaxed in the club having a beer and plate of warm noodles as we had not brought warmer clothes for what can be cool HK nights.

Home safe and well and never asked again – we had not secured our skippers tickets!!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 11:55 PM

Blimey I have a lot of reading to catch up on
Home tomorrow.
Good Night Possums. X
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 08:46 PM

They're there for your first year, they give you your first beer
When you get your heart broke, they're there for your worst year
Don't get you at all, but your apple don't fall too far from 'em
They own too much wicker and drink too much liquor
You'd wash your hands of them, but blood's always thicker
You might look just like 'em, that don't mean you're like 'em
But you love 'em
Family is family, in church or in prison
You get what you get, and you don't get to pick 'em
They might smoke like chimneys, but give you their kidneys
Yeah, friends come in handy, but family is family
They're there when you're married, divorced, and remarried
You fall out of touch, but then someone gets buried
And you're right back together like no time has ever gone by
Can't live with or without 'em, you might talk about 'em
But if someone else does, well, then you'll knock 'em out 'cause
When it's all said and done, they're the only ones that you got
Family is family, in church or in prison
You get what you get, and you don't get to pick 'em
They might smoke like chimneys, but give you their kidneys
Yeah, friends come in handy, but family is family
Yeah, family is funny, they'll ask you for money
Even though they know you ain't got no money
They show up at Christmas, get up in your business
They might not be fancy, but family is family
You might look just like 'em, that don't mean you're like 'em
But you love 'em
Songwriters: Kacey Musgraves / Shane L Mcanally / Josh Osborne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAdqJfVmUts
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 08:49 PM

Hello Sweetie, I have two questions for you, (1) Are you back yet? (2) Where were you?

A great story Gummy, and true, I really enjoyed it, thanks for telling it so well.

Just been catching up on a few threads.

A short summary of recent forum topics.

The Funeral ads are making folks sigh
Telling us how to save up to die.

In a room in Belfast an old lady dies
While the glutton downstairs spends her money on pies.

Tourism in Canada has tripled overnight
Everyones going to get high as a kite.

Posting is dodgy, so be careful what’s said
Or you’ll get 10 years to life for killing a thread.

The old men are all shaving in places anew
Perhaps to stick it on their baldy heads with glue?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

24-10-2018, 08:53 PM

I have not long got home from Bristol Jem.
The lyrics and song I posted were the act we all watched last night.
I am in my spare room in Bournemouth - A bit nosy for a boy, you are.

On Monday we happened to meet Van Morrisson, who was performing in Bristol. He was drinking, I bet you never knew that about him.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

24-10-2018, 09:18 PM

Ah sure he looks like he could do with a pint or two, he’s always very cranky looking.
He was pictured in Dublin today without his sunglasses and black hat, and he had a young blonde woman in the back seat, he’s doing a concert here on the 28th of this month I believe.

Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

24-10-2018, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Ah sure he looks like he could do with a pint or two, he’s always very cranky looking.
He was pictured in Dublin today without his sunglasses and black hat, and he had a young blonde woman in the back seat, he’s doing a concert here on the 28th of this month I believe.

He sure looks better than on Monday.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

24-10-2018, 10:26 PM

Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

24-10-2018, 11:24 PM

Good Night Possums. X

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top