Join for free
Page 13 of 72 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 05:17 PM

Re: Over 50s Club Yorkshire

Originally Posted by Val J ->
Depends what you like to do JBR. The harbour is of great interest to lots of folk, and the walk along the cliffs to Sewerby Park is lovely. Or if it's too far to walk there's the land train goes along the cliff top. Decent shops is one thing we lack but perhaps that wouldn't bother you. Secret Garden is a nice good value cafe in town or the cafe at the new leisure centre allows you to look out to sea whilst enjoying your cuppa!

I don't know so much about Filey, it's still fairly quiet and it's lovely to walk along the seafront. Nice gardens too.
Thanks for that.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Here's something for the non-Yorkshire amongst you (poor souls ) who are looking in.

There isn't just one Yorkshire accent as depicted on many TV shows/soaps - here's some of the differences.

http://www.yorkshiredialectsociety.org.uk/
Bookmarked.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I haven't been to Bridlington, or Filey for that matter, since I was a young child.

We go to Scarborough and Whitby quite regularly, but I'd like to visit those other two places again before long.

Any recommendations of what to do or see in Bridlington and Filey? The Secret Garden sounds intriguing.
When the season starts again you could have a sail around the bay on the Yorkshire Belle, we go on it everytime we visit, our dog loves the trip too
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 08:48 PM

I didn't think about the Yorkshire Belle Sue, it's years since I was on there ....... like 40 years! ��
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 09:05 PM

We tend to ride on the Yorkshire Belle a lot in the summer months.. Even though my father in law died last year and we sold the caravan that mother couldn't keep running on her own. We still visit Hornsea, Withernsea and Bridlington. We have a van that we converted, put a bed in etc... so it's free to go....
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 09:24 PM

Good for you Sue, sounds like a good life, you don't always appreciate the seaside when you live there!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Emerald ->
Yes, they are made at Saltend, within the Hull boundary. Anyone catching the P&O Ferry across to Rotterdam can't fail to spot the site. H u g e structures. I am certain that the ugly blade is on display to appease Siemens, the manufacturer. Plenty of jobs a-going there. Actually there was some footage on the local BBC news of the blade being transported to its new site overnight. Amazing. There were plenty of corners to manoeuvre and they nearly took the head off King Billy (a gilded equestrian statue in the Market Place). They missed him, sadly.
Thanks for that Emerald, next time I'm in Hull I shall go and have a look at the site. Siemens seem to think Britain is worth investing in despite our leaving the EU.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
Secret Garden is opposite Boyes loading Bay, Bob, above Cooplands shop. Another of our favourites is Eastfield, we go at least a couple of times a week to the Autumn Bliss at the front of the garden centre. Will surely bump into you one of these days!
Thanks for that Val. Wear a pink carnation and I'll look out for you next time I'm in there.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

05-02-2017, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I haven't been to Bridlington, or Filey for that matter, since I was a young child.

We go to Scarborough and Whitby quite regularly, but I'd like to visit those other two places again before long.

Any recommendations of what to do or see in Bridlington and Filey? The Secret Garden sounds intriguing.
Our visits are usually walking or food orientated JB.
The best views over Bridlington can be had on the top floor of Boyes department store in the cafe' they are famous for their steak pies.
And if you like bird watching, and you don't mind a bit of a walk [about a mile] you can catch a bus from the bus station in Brid which will take you to the end of the lane down to the bird sanctuary at Bempton Cliffs. A spectacular sight even if you don't do bird watching JB....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

05-02-2017, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Our visits are usually walking or food orientated JB.
The best views over Bridlington can be had on the top floor of Boyes department store in the cafe' they are famous for their steak pies.
And if you like bird watching, and you don't mind a bit of a walk [about a mile] you can catch a bus from the bus station in Brid which will take you to the end of the lane down to the bird sanctuary at Bempton Cliffs. A spectacular sight even if you don't do bird watching JB....

As it happens, I have just been looking online at what's available at both Bridlington and Filey.

To be perfectly honest, apart from Bridlington Priory, I'm afraid I haven't seen anything to greatly attract me.

Scarborough, I think, has more to for visitors to do, and Whitby (my favourite) has several very attractive attractions! These would include the abbey, the church, the steps, the old town and its several attractive pubs. Then on the 'new' side, there are various shops including some 'antiquey' types further up the hill. Also, the best fish and chips in the world!

Robin Hood's Bay is also very pretty. We stayed there with some friends many years ago in an old and small self-catering house. I distinctly remember chopping wood (supplied) to burn on the fire and chopping some skin off my finger. Ah, happy days! The only bad thing is that you have to park at the top and walk down a fairly steep road into the town centre. That's no problem, though. No, the real problem is walking all the way back up again!

Page 13 of 72 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top