Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 09:53 PM

Increased charges

I'm fed up to the teeth with greedy companies putting such big price increases on all our day to day needs.
The water rates went up, gas, electric, and now BT phone rental as well.
My phone contract with BT was £61.80 per qtr until today, but tomorrow it will cost £68.97. It would be £74.22 if I the still want the (previously free) 1571 service! This is a not paltry increase, it's huge and my pension rise in April will not cover anything like all these increases.
I'm especially annoyed because when I phoned BT this evening to get a quote for the new contract, the chap said he could do me better deal and promptly reduced the call plan price by £2.25. I said give me a few minutes to think and I'd ring him back. Half an hour later I phoned back to grudgingly accept only to be told by the next chap, that the first bloke should not have offered me any such thing and he "would be dealt with", as there was no such deal at all! I thought that was pretty appalling service and wonder where I would have stood if I had just accepted straightaway. Would they have had to honour the deal I wonder, or would they have cancelled the new contract?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 10:29 PM

Re: Increased charges

Mups I save money on BT line with this option..

There are two ways to pay your BT line rental – you can pick what suits you best during your order:

Monthly
£15.99 a month
or
12 months in advance
petty cash jar £141 a year (equivalent to £11.75 a month)
Pay for 12 months in advance with a one-off non-refundable payment of £141 and save £50.88 in one year. Your line rental is then equivalent to £11.75 a month. Just choose 'Line Rental Saver' when you order.
With Line Rental Saver you can pay for your monthly line rental by paying £141 by credit/debit card for 12 months in advance which is equivalent to £11.75 a month. You'll need to pay any additional call charges by Direct Debit.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 11:01 PM

Mups, I so agree with you!

I went on to my BT account the other day and removed the 1571 service as I have an answering machine with the phone and it's been disabled already! Quick service.

My monthly pension increase from 1st January was £15 but this has immediately been knocked out by the BT increase on Caller Display which I must have, and Virgin is going up by £3. Of course we don't know yet if council tax is going up (that at least has stayed the same for a few years).

It remains to be seen how the leccy works out, and if water goes up. I don't pay a lot on the latter, fortunately.
caj3
West Midlands, UK
caj3 is female  caj3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 11:34 PM

Went away for christmas, when I returned home bus fares had gone up and beer

I'm glad I switched my energy supplier
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mups I save money on BT line with this option..

Blimey, that's a good saving Meg, the crafty buggers never mentioned that at all.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-01-2014, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Mups, I so agree with you!

I went on to my BT account the other day and removed the 1571 service as I have an answering machine with the phone and it's been disabled already! Quick service.

My monthly pension increase from 1st January was £15 but this has immediately been knocked out by the BT increase on Caller Display which I must have, and Virgin is going up by £3. Of course we don't know yet if council tax is going up (that at least has stayed the same for a few years).

It remains to be seen how the leccy works out, and if water goes up. I don't pay a lot on the latter, fortunately.

It's bloomin' tough sometimes aint it Jazzi. You're right about the Virgin price going up as well, I'd forgot that one as well !!
For the enjoyment of using this computer (it was second hand), they have increased my D/D by about £1.50 from Feb.
I know it's something I could cut down on, but I must admit I would miss it terribly now, especially talking to you guys.
I reckon my car is the biggest expense I have, but it would make life very difficult indeed if I gave it up. Obviously I still need to pay the Tax, Insurance, MOT etc, even if I don't drive far each day. The tax is due at the end of this month, followed by MOT beginning of Feb, before I even start on the petrol. It's pretty tough without my wages coming in anymore.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2014, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Blimey, that's a good saving Meg, the crafty buggers never mentioned that at all.
....you have to look for it on the website Mups..
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2014, 12:21 AM

Left BT as soon as contract finished, saved about £20 pm with Talk talk.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

09-01-2014, 12:23 AM

Crikey Twiz, that's a damn good saving.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2014, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I'm fed up to the teeth with greedy companies putting such big price increases on all our day to day needs.
The water rates went up, gas, electric, and now BT phone rental as well.
The great thing about the wonderful new world of telecoms is that you can change companies. Shop around for a better deal.

I am just waiting for the NBN to connect me to fibre - Telstra can then stick their line rental where the sun don't shine.

(Mind you because of the recent change of government I sacrifice several children and small furry animals each week to ensure it happens)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top