Join for free
Page 26 of 95 « First < 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 > Last »
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2016, 05:16 PM

Re: What book are you reading now?

I have just started reading a true story called:

'My 50s'. Its about a young boy growing up in the 50s in East London in a Prefab with his Parents.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2016, 09:30 AM

I´ve just started reading "Jeremy & Amy" by Jeremy Keeling. Basically it´s about how Jeremy Keeling adopted Amy, an abandoned baby Orang-Utan, how she pulled him from the wreckage of a car crash, and how he went on to start Monkey World in Dorset.

I´m only a little way through the book, but so far it´s very interesting.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2016, 12:14 PM

Im reading this book now ....The Ghost of Christmas Paws....its really good fun and very lighthearted festive fare reading

It’s a week before Christmas and Hettie and Tilly set out on a very dangerous case for The No. 2 Feline Detective Agency. Lady Eloise Crabstock-Singe has summoned them to the Cornish coast to solve the mystery of Christmas Paws: a servant cat who haunts the family manor intent on killing off all of the Crabstocks.

Should they put their trust in Absalom and Lamorna Tweek? Will Saffron Bunn’s cooking get any better? And will Hettie and Tilly get home safely in time for Christmas dinner?
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2016, 04:03 PM

Christmas books have come out reading A Cotswold Christmas by Kate Hewitt.
bridget
melbourne, australia
bridget is female 

30-11-2016, 11:12 PM

Just finished "Bright's Passage" by Josh Ritter.

Lovely book.
It's interesting because it gives an often neglected perspective of American soldiers in the first world war, going home to the poverty in the wilds of the Appalachian mountains.

“Bright’s Passage shines with a compressed lyricism that recalls Ray Bradbury in his prime…This is the work of a gifted novelist…” – Stephen King, The New York Times Book Review

Josh Ritter’s first novel is a wondrous, suspenseful, and uniquely affecting story of the journey taken by a father and his infant son.

Henry Bright is newly returned to West Virginia from the battlefields of the First World War. Grief struck by the death of his young wife and unsure of how to care for the infant son she left behind, Bright is soon confronted by the destruction of the only home he’s ever known. His only hope for safety is the angel who has followed him to Appalachia from the trenches of France and who now promises to protect him and his son.

Together, Bright and his newborn, along with a cantankerous goat and the angel guiding them, make their way through a landscape ravaged by forest fire toward an uncertain salvation, haunted by the abiding nightmare of his experiences in the war and shadowed by his dead wife’s father, the Colonel, and his two brutal sons.

At times harrowing, at times funny, and always possessed by the sheer gorgeousness and unique imagination that have made Josh Ritter’s songs beloved to so many, this is the debut of a virtuoso fiction writer. (less)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...ight-s-passage
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2016, 12:17 AM

I've got 2 on the go at the moment. Can't be bothered to go in the other room and get the titles right, but one is on the benefits of Meditation, and the other is a novel about a girl who lost her husband, and how horrible her mother-in-law was to her.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2016, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I´ve just started reading "Jeremy & Amy" by Jeremy Keeling. Basically it´s about how Jeremy Keeling adopted Amy, an abandoned baby Orang-Utan, how she pulled him from the wreckage of a car crash, and how he went on to start Monkey World in Dorset.

edited to add: Having read a little further into this book I find myself quite amazed to find Jeremy Keeling is from the family who kept a little zoo in Ashover village, not far from where I was brought up. I remember going to this little zoo, Pan's Garden, it was called I think. It was appalling, the animals were kept in terrible conditions, it was extremely dirty and very smelly. I think, not 100% sure, it was closed down by the Council, although the book doesn't mention that, Jeremy just says it closed.

I didn't know the family, just the zoo, and that was a long time ago.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2016, 04:16 PM

I have just finished Saints of the Shadow Bible by Ian Rankin. Quite a recent one but 49p in the charity shop, can't go wrong! After a quick wipe with anti bacterial spray..
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2016, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->

Being a huge fan of Monkey World, I too have read this.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2016, 11:47 PM

The Widow by Fiona Barton.

Ooooooooooooooooooooo

Page 26 of 95 « First < 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top