Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2017, 10:50 AM

Crackdown on adverts?

Isn't it time the Advertising Standards Authority had a crackdown on false claims in adverts?

We see them all the time, food products made to look larger than they really are, impossible stains removed from clothes & carpets and can you imagine well paid celebs dying their hair in the sink or shopping in Iceland?

There's one on at the moment for Carte D'Or which shows peaks of ice cream in a container. If the peaks were that tall, they wouldn't get the lid on.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2017, 11:00 AM

Re: Crackdown on adverts?

Does anyone believe these advertisements . I don't see many, I manage to avoid them and those I do see I take with a pinch of salt being a cynical old bird
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2017, 11:00 AM

Dongles my dear, I also think it's wrong to have famous actors on, pretending saying things like "our ice cream" or "we make it" as if they are staff at the company. All lies . . . .

We are being overtaken by adverts now. The ad breaks are longer and longer, louder and noisier and many more and more of them an' all.
Soon we will have a short break from ads for a burst of the programme instead - a programme break instead of an ad break.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2017, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Dongles my dear, I also think it's wrong to have famous actors on, pretending saying things like "our ice cream" or "we make it" as if they are staff at the company. All lies . . . .

We are being overtaken by adverts now. The ad breaks are longer and longer, louder and noisier and many more and more of them an' all.
Soon we will have a short break from ads for a burst of the programme instead - a programme break instead of an ad break.
Hah hah Mups, I often think that about the last bit.

I cannot stand the James Corden one and mute it as soon as I hear the opening music!!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2017, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Hah hah Mups, I often think that about the last bit.

I cannot stand the James Corden one and mute it as soon as I hear the opening music!!!

Same here Jazzi.
He gets on my wick at the best of times anyway.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2017, 01:06 PM

I tend to record pretty much everything so I can fast forward through the ads. I do seem to remember a young lady with a flake though.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2017, 01:55 PM

What about that one where they splatter a T shirt with paint, wash it and it looks like new. Anyone want to try it?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2017, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's very true. Although I never watch adverts, I do know how long the breaks are as I skip through them on the programmes I have recorded.

I haven't made exact notes, but most advert breaks seem to be at least five minutes long these days, and come along three or four times an hour.

They seem to be even longer on some of the repeat channels, and I thought there were legal maxima for advert breaks.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 02:54 PM

I do like some ads, particularly the Flash one. I love that dog.
I agree that ads breaks seem to be longer now. I watch mostly BBC which don't have any.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 03:06 PM

Just been watching 'The Royal' on the ITV repeat channel (ITV3).

A one hour programme including four five minute advert breaks.
20 minutes of adverts in a total 60 minutes, that's ONE THIRD of the programme.

I'm sure they must be breaking the rules unless, of course, the rules I was aware of are no longer in force.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top