Join for free
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 08:52 AM

Friend requests

Don't want to upset anyone but I don't accept friend requests until I know members a bit more, I am bemused when a brand new member asks to be friends when we haven't even chatted on the forum and they haven't made a post. So sorry if that offends.

Curious does anyone accept just any request or am I just a fussy cow ?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 08:57 AM

Re: Friend requests

I agree with you Julie.
I've never done the friends thing, I explain why not in my profile.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Don't want to upset anyone but I don't accept friend requests until I know members a bit more, I am bemused when a brand new member asks to be friends when we haven't even chatted on the forum and they haven't made a post. So sorry if that offends.

Curious does anyone accept just any request or am I just a fussy cow ?

I don't either,no I don't think you are fussy,just being careful,don't worry it didn't offend me,

Joking!.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 09:26 AM

Julie I know this has happened to quite a few people and I would always say it is unwise accept a friend that you know very little about. I think it is sad that people just ask anybody to be their friend, to make themselves seem popular,.... even if they have no intention of doing any harm!

I know of another forum, where they don't have limits on when you can send pms, & they have a lot of problems with people sending friend requests, who turn out to be scammers! It creates a huge amount of extra work for their mods.

You are not being fussy, you are just being wise!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 09:34 AM

Some people can strike up a conversation with a complete stranger online,that's how some get to know each other,at the end of the day,we are all different,..in life some are very open and friendly,..others take a while ,they like to get to know you a little.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 09:53 AM

I have just checked and I have 14 which is a bit of a record for me. Either I have asked or they have asked me.
Because I can be a grumpy old sod it is more than likely most have asked me.
I know I would have asked if they posted a few pm's to me and I found their conversations interesting.

I actually only post pm's to them if I have not seen them about on the forum for a while or I may have a question about gardening or music or some other stuff, but never personal.
I think as close to personal I get is actually putting my proper name next to LF no kiss's or anything coz I don't want the fellas getting the wrong idea.

I find its no good asking questions on the forum itself because no bugger ever answers me.

But I agree with you Julie best be cautious in these things because there are some weirdo's out there.

Regards Behelzibub LF..xx
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 10:12 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of this 'friend' system?

I mean, presumably you can pm someone if you want a private chat.
Am a bit puzzled. (I don't do FB, so am not wised up about this 'friends' thing).
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I agree with you Julie.
I've never done the friends thing, I explain why not in my profile.
Diva!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of this 'friend' system?

I mean, presumably you can pm someone if you want a private chat.
Am a bit puzzled. (I don't do FB, so am not wised up about this 'friends' thing).
I have to admit it puzzles me a bit, if someone sends me a request if I know them from posting and they seem nice I accept but I don't think I've ever initiated a request because I always think if people don't realise I like them on the open forum I am doing something wrong.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 11:32 AM

I think, if you target just anyone be your friend then it smacks of desperation. It’s like you are collecting badges or trophies to tell everyone, ‘Look at me, look at how popular l am’!

Yes, scammers are a real nuisance. You like to think they only thrive on the naive but this has been proved wrong, over and over.
I think you have a responsibility to your self, not to just rush in to be anyone’s friend as you might end up being scammed and hurt.

I am afraid, l am suspicious of everyone until, l really know them.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top