Join for free
Page 277 of 370 « First < 177 227 267 275 276 277 278 279 287 327 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 12:00 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

It's just brilliant coming in here when it's a hive of activity.....
I mean, nobody wants to eat in an empty restaurant do they....
It's not just about grinding out the miles, or pulling pushing and lifting (or whatever it is that gym goers do)....
I consider us all good friends, and it's nice to hear the ups and downs of everyday life in the same way that I would have a nag with my work colleagues, difference is; we come on here voluntarily....

Good to hear of your outing with the missus Floydy, it might not appear so novel when you no longer have to go to work and you're together twenty four seven...Kitchens are never big enough..... Seriously though, I very rarely go anywhere without Mrs Fox, we're a team, and we gell just as much today as when I first met her....

Enough of the squelchy stuff...

Great to see you doing your stuff Swim, every long distance walk starts with the first step, and I hope the support and encouragement you will find in this thread will keep you coming back for more....I've always been good with my hands, but it's usually making or repairing things, hence most of my life being spent in a dirty and noisy machine shop. I loved it though and wouldn't change a thing.....In fact I'm still at it in my workshop here at home....A man needs a rainy day hobby....

Hells Bells! Tachyon, you put me to shame with your mammoth workouts, I have all on to lift my tired body into bed on a night, and I'm usually that tired that apart from staggering blindly to the toilet a few times in the night, I'm not part of this world until I get jogged awake at some ungodly hour with the strongest urge (which I can't resist) to go for a run...

That's why I come on here Surfermom, someone to talk to about the trials and tribulations of running, and it looks like it's just you and me....I know there are other runners lurking in the undergrowth and it would be nice to hear from them (you don't have to train like Alberto Salazar) but if you know who he is, let's hear from you....
Please don't shave your head Surfermom.... I've seen photos of you and you look so attractive as you are....

It sounds like it's as cold in Kansas as it is here. I just don't know what's happened to the weather, it was progressing just nicely, and then it went all Arctic.....Brrrrrrrrrr
Anyway, it's not going to deter me, so dressed in just shorts, thin fleece top and some ninety quid running shoes (Oh! and gloves) I battled against a stiff easterly breeze and managed to thrust myself around ten miles of the finest South Yorkshire countryside and finished in a lot better shape than I did last week.....

So watch out grass.......After breakfast I'm coming for you.....
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 01:15 PM

Thank you Floydy, Surfermom and OldGreyFox, you're lovely people.

@ Floydy: I'm glad you had a nice time out with your wife, and I envy you as I miss things like that these days. Time spent with a beloved is good for the soul, and that's as important as a healthy mind and body. Togetherness is a wonderful thing. I bet you hammer the gym today, too!

@ OGF and Surfermom: I love your descriptions of your runs because you both paint such lovely images of what takes place and it's lovely how you both take note of events around you instead of just putting your heads down and just running. I wish their was a sort of equivalent in the gym to lovely scenery, as mirrors, glass walls and loud music on the speakers isn't all that inspiring. One of these days, I'll run like you both do... the speed won't matter, just the pleasure of the run itself will do me fine.

@ Swimfeeders: I feel for you, having had to build up from almost no fitness at all, and admire your grit and determination. You sound like the type who knows that pushing back is the best way to make progress, even though it is initially slow going. You're definitely not a quitter, and people like you always bounce back, given time. All the best mate!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 01:31 PM

For some reason I'm itching to get to the pool to do some lengths, yet I was there Monday to Friday already this week.

I can't go today as the schools are off and the pool will be full of little...…...cough cough "angels" and you can't swim with them there.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 01:41 PM

Flipping heck swims! You made me break my resolution not to post again til I get home in May!
I just staggered with my case to the scales, about 5 steps and then up a step and onto the scales. It's a mere 17k and you're carrying 20k all that way!!
Plus, yesterday I got on my exercise bike (about time yeah yeah yeah I know!) and after 5 minutes I was puffed out!!

So what's that all about when I can easily walk 3-4 miles??

Inferiority complex, you bet!!

And did someone say exercise is good for the brain?
Mine needs all the help it can get! Yesterday I put my coffee in the fridge and was half way upstairs with the milk when I realised something was wrong...!!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 03:33 PM

WOW!! To quote OGF, It’s really a hive of activity in here right now. I really do echo what you folks are saying in that it’s a great thread when we all get together. Must be Springtime!

Suzie – You’re so right about getting some quality time with our loved ones, in my case Mrs. Floyd. We had such a nice day yesterday and ended up at Hull’s annual Beer Festival, then some more ales around Hull meeting up later with some friends. And then again, as soon as we got off our bus we decided on a meal at our local pub and even more sherbets to wash it down with. Needless to say we were shattered when we got in and after a coffee and a little play around on this site, I went to bed.
As usual though my body clock kicked me out of bed again three hours later and with a blinding headache I was downstairs watching TV for a couple of hours trying to make sense of a movie I’d recorded!

You’ll be looking forward to your surfing in those warmer climes soon then. Remember to hit those triceps in preparation and there’s really nothing more effective than close-grip bench presses which hit all three heads at the same time. Get them steel girder supports bursting out!

Bob – You’re like a new man today mate. Buzzing with beans and smileys in abundance! And as with Surfermom, it’s great to hear you having a sound time in this thread again. Who knows when my muscle begins to fade away naturally, I’ll be out running like you two once again. Few more years yet hopefully before I begin wasting away!
Another nice but chilly run for you today. This sunshine we’re having is so deceptive isn’t it?! Hope you enjoyed your breakfast and a nice hot bath afterwards.

Thank you both for your kind comments about my wife and me enjoying some time together, they are very welcome. It’s nice to just chat with one another like it is with you people on here.

Roxy - I’m sure you will find some time to splash into that pool soon enough, pending those pesky kids getting in the way. Keep us updated.

Ruthio - How about getting some of those strap-on ankle weights, Ruthio? They would sure gain you some extra strength in the absence of dumbbells. Looks like you and Swimmy are battling it out in the strength stakes right now and that’s great for stamina and motivation

My write-up follows…
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 04:03 PM

Sunday 13/4/19: Legs + Upper body refresher. 1hr.10mins.
(All weights in kgs)

Feeling the after-effects of my boozy session yesterday it took me all I had to get out of bed this morning and I finally made it to the gym at 1.30pm. A pint of summer fruits squash and a couple of granola bars and I was as ready as I could be considering my state of play.

With my legs session now becoming harder and heavier due to the successful ‘muscle hardness tension training’ I’m enjoying, it is now divided into two more manageable workouts (the other one will take place mid-week). To compliment this and to make up the time I added some upper body exercises that I shelved which were originally scheduled for Fri/Sat.
All exercises were carried out slowly, giving the muscles maximum resistance.

LEGS

Sled press (feet low on plate):
20x150, 15x180, 10x200
8x200 + 5
15x120

Sled press (feet high on plate):
20x150, 15x180, 10x200
8x200 + 5
15x120
*To recap, the different positions of the feet work alternate muscles of the thighs, providing a full workout for the quads.

Calf press (toe push on sled press):
20x100, 15x120, 10x130
12x140 + 2
15x80

Abductor:
20x40, 15x45, 10x50
8x60 +2
15x35

Adductor:
20x50, 15x55, 10x60
8x60 +3
15x40

Incline press:
10x150 – pause - 10x150 – pause - 10x150 – pause - 10x150 – pause -
10x150
5x120 – pause - 5x120 – pause - 5x120 – pause - 5x120 – pause - 5x120
*Despite the low-ish weight, this was incredibly hard work as I’m holding the weight in place under stress rather than starting a new set each time. The legs were on fire after this little lot!
My main heavier incline press exercises will take place during the week.

UPPER BODY (short selection):

Arm curl (machine, both arms simultaneously):
10x25, 6x30, 6x35
5x45 +2
12x20

DB press, incline bench (two dumbbells, one each hand):
10x24’s (48kg total), 6x28’s (56), 6x30’s (60)
4x32’s +2 (64)
12x20’s (40)

DB concentration curl, alt.:
10x12.5, 6x15, 6x15
5x18 +1
12x10

Seated row:
10x47, 6x59, 6x65
5x71 +2
12x41

Back at work tonight, so I didn’t want to feel even more wasted than I already am.
I now have three workouts to do during this coming week to get back up to date – two further upper body plus a legs session. We’re looking at three consecutive days I they will need to be fitted in before Easter.

Thanks for reading
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 11:55 AM

I've never seen so many different shades of green! (since last year anyway) and the trees are bursting with pink and white blossoms, and at six thirty this morning the birds were going wild, I'm not surprised! They are enjoying a better sex life than me!... The pigeons that have taken up residence across the road are particularly randy....

The woods are carpeted in bluebell foliage, but only a few blooms have poked their heads up thus far, so I'm looking forward to an epic display in the next week or two....So much more uplifting than the greys and browns of winter...

It felt grand to be out this morning, it really did feel like spring. Warmer than of late, and not even a hint of the icey east wind that has been hounding us for the last three days. I spied another runner on the lane heading towards me, we passed the time of day, and other than a smile, no further contact was made. I'm glad really because I've seen him out before, younger and faster than me, and he would have taken no pleasure in beating an old 'has been' like me....(I hope!)

Paths and lanes are still bone dry, and perfect for setting fast times, so I rolled into the drive just two seconds slower than the seasons best for my popular five mile course, so I might have given the young guy a run for his money, or an accidental kick on the shins might have slowed him down a bit....With age comes wisdom....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 12:40 PM

Roxy, I don't know how you manage to do it all and still get to the pool five times per week, but I do know how addictive it is to keep exercising once it becomes a habit! It really is a shame that your pool doesn't seem to offer more dedicated lanes to adults and still provide a section where the kids can do their cannonballs and dive for coins.

Floydy, you are so right about the triceps exercise. If you want to imagine what surfing is like like prone on the floor and try a powerful pushup that puts you into a squat with your feet perpendicular to your shoulders and then stand up. On the rare occasions in which I watch a movie, I will do these repeatedly for agility practice. These burpee like motions help with leg training too. Your weights and reps are astounding on the incline press.

Ruthio, if it makes you feel better, I spent ten minutes looking for my readers this morning, only to discover them on my head. Maybe this exercise to promote neurogenesis isn't what it's cracked up to be. As for cycling, I run like I stole something but still find that getting on the recumbent bike leaves me out of breath in no time. Those leg muscles are sure oxygen greedy! You keep at it and you'll be up to ten in no time!

OGF, thank goodness you asked me not to shave my head. Here I was with the clippers and razor when you swooped in to save the day..... Ten miles, OGF? Somehow I imagine that if one took an x-ray of your upper body they would find a heart and lungs the volume of a grey whale.

Tachyon, you are most kind about the running. Looking around the countryside distracts the gremlin in my head who thinks lying around on a sunny beach with a cool drink should be my default activity at all times You are so right about the pleasures of being outdoors.

Stardust. That was the word that kept floating through my mind as I left the house this morning to look up and find all the jewels of the universe sparkling on a background of the deepest dark velvet. With my collar zipped tight and all the adjustments made, I pushed out into the chilly predawn morning. Too early even for the birds to chirp, I made my way to the edge of the sleeping town where I could run without fear of being knocked into a drainage ditch by an otherwise focused farmer. Getting into a satisfying rhythm of heartbeat and breath, I settled into a comfortable pace and made my way around the entire town.

The water tower and church spires rising to the heavens made it easy to keep my bearings, and I became lost in imagining the people who had once lived in the little clapboard houses that have dotted the community for the past two hundred years.

What made those first settlers come here? One mile became two. How did they manage with a water source so far away? Two miles became three. How did they manage a living in land that was greedy with her resources and what did they do to find joy in their simple lives? Three became four...then five. Completing the long circle that leading back to the house for the final, difficult sixth mile, I wondered about living simple life in simpler times, and how it would feel just to keep running until finally stopping in some little town in an unfamiliar place and start a life with almost nothing and being contented with a little white house, with a little picket fence...
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 01:50 PM

Roxy, I don't know how you manage to do it all and still get to the pool five times per week, but I do know how addictive it is to keep exercising once it becomes a habit! It really is a shame that your pool doesn't seem to offer more dedicated lanes to adults and still provide a section where the kids can do their cannonballs and dive for coins.

That's the problem with a lot of the pools here Surfer, they cater for Schools, Clubs, and Kids. The swimmers get an hour here and there. Sooo unless one is prepaired to fork out more than double the amount of money and go to a Private Pool, we just have to put up with it..
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

16-04-2019, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I've never seen so many different shades of green! (since last year anyway) and the trees are bursting with pink and white blossoms, and at six thirty this morning the birds were going wild, I'm not surprised! They are enjoying a better sex life than me!... The pigeons that have taken up residence across the road are particularly randy....
LOL! Know the feeling mate. Just enjoy your exercise, although more vertically-performed than flat
Love the descriptions as ever, Bob. Sounds really pleasant where you are.

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Floydy, you are so right about the triceps exercise. If you want to imagine what surfing is like like prone on the floor and try a powerful pushup that puts you into a squat with your feet perpendicular to your shoulders and then stand up. On the rare occasions in which I watch a movie, I will do these repeatedly for agility practice. These burpee like motions help with leg training too. Your weights and reps are astounding on the incline press.

Stardust. That was the word that kept floating through my mind as I left the house this morning to look up and find all the jewels of the universe sparkling on a background of the deepest dark velvet. With my collar zipped tight and all the adjustments made, I pushed out into the chilly predawn morning. Too early even for the birds to chirp, I made my way to the edge of the sleeping town where I could run without fear of being knocked into a drainage ditch by an otherwise focused farmer. Getting into a satisfying rhythm of heartbeat and breath, I settled into a comfortable pace and made my way around the entire town.

The water tower and church spires rising to the heavens made it easy to keep my bearings, and I became lost in imagining the people who had once lived in the little clapboard houses that have dotted the community for the past two hundred years.
Thanks Suzie, the legs are in the best shape they've been in for years and looking very bodybuilding-esque right now. I'll hang on to that form as long as I'm possibly able to.
You'll do very well doing those plank exercises. A few push-ups then hold/pause and carry on another couple of pushes. Works wonders for the triceps and shoulders too.

Same with you about your adventures in the countryside, sounds like a beautiful place to go running or walking for that matter. Glad you're picking yourself back up in the best way you can, it is surely doing you good

Originally Posted by Roxy ->

That's the problem with a lot of the pools here Surfer, they cater for Schools, Clubs, and Kids. The swimmers get an hour here and there. Sooo unless one is prepaired to fork out more than double the amount of money and go to a Private Pool, we just have to put up with it..
I thought you were talking away to yourself for a minute there, Roxy, in the absence of quotation brackets...

I guess it's taking a swim at school holiday times, they'll soon be back again and you can enjoy a blissful relaxation time in that pool once more

- - - - - - - -

Tuesday 16/4/19: Upper body. 1hr.05mins.
(All weights in kgs)

My early workout for this week and everything went pretty well. Some weights were pretty heavy, pushing my arms to the limit in a couple of cases but it was all just enough to top things up.

Lat pulldown, hammer bar:
10x35, 6x40, 6x45
6x50 +2
12x35

Single DB press, flat bench:
40x50
20x50 +6
*Pushing up the heaviest dumbbell in the gym with a close grip, this hits the triceps amazingly well. I needed to do more reps to make it effective though.

E-Z preacher curl:
10x38, 6x43, 6x48
4x53 +2
12x23

Smith flat bench press, close grip:
10x30, 6x40, 6x50
5x60 +1
12x30

Fly delt dec, inward pull:
10x80, 6x95, 6x102.5
6x110 +3
12x65

Tricep extensions:
10x40, 6x60, 6x70
5x80 +3
12x30

DB preacher curl, standing, alt. (over bench):
10x12.5, 6x15, 6x15
4x20 +2
12x10

Yes, happy with that. Next session will be for the legs either tomorrow or Thursday.

Thanks for reading.

Page 277 of 370 « First < 177 227 267 275 276 277 278 279 287 327 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top