Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 09:04 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Many thanks for that Spitty. Another much listened to alternative perhaps

Back in 1974 Isao Tomitos album Snowflakes are dancing included the track Claire de Lune and it brought Debussys beautiful classical music, by what was then known as Moog synthesizer, into many a youngsters awareness.

I still have this album and though like me it is a bit scratched and worn, friends still ask for it to be played and listening to it's gentle sound it still enthralls as it has done so over the years. .

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 11:36 AM

Yes Solo, I remember that album well.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 07:13 PM

Listening to Isao Tomita again got me thinking how each generation views new kinds of music.

I can jump back and forth with most types music enjoying them for what they sounded like regardless of when it was made or who by, but I can still hear " why can't you listen to something nice like that Rosemary Clooney (George Clooneys aunt) or Perry Como" whenever I played my new records.

There was no appreciation at all for Eddie Cochran and Buddy Holly so poor old Let there be drums or Telstar stood no chance of an appreciative nod. Wincing at every note we tried to introduce we were then declared tone deaf by our croon loving elders and that was that.

Mind you I am as guilty when it comes to rap.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 09:52 PM

I was a great fan of Buddy Holly’s, what a pity he died so young, even so he produced many great songs in such a short space of time.
I like most music but I could never take to Rap either.
Of course when it comes to real music I am lost amongst you connoisseurs.
Music can bring joy and sometimes sorrow as one associates it with a particular loved one who has passed on.
This wonderful piece below always makes me happy as I remember my dear old Uncle Dave singing it to me as he bounced me up and down on his lap every Saturday night when he came home tight.
He had it down to perfection, every Ying had to ting and every Tong had to bong in perfect precision, not a lot of people can do that with this piece, try to imagine the great Maria Callas at the Albert Hall singing it, i’m sure even she would struggle getting her golden throttle around this one.
The “Special effects” of door slamming and board stamping are years ahead of the time it was recorded, in 1977 the Honeycombs copied the board banging for their song “Have I the right to hold you”
Feast your ears on this then.

solo
UK

19-07-2019, 09:08 AM

LOL Jem what a good memory you have...mind you if I had been bounced to that I doubt if I would have forgotten either.

Somethings just make you laugh out loud for there sheer absurdity don't they

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 02:28 PM

Talking about laughing at the absurd, I sometimes get into trouble about the things I laugh at, especially in todays politically correct society. Here's an example that only happened this morning.

The wife’s 35 year old niece was here earlier, a lovely girl but she worries far too much. She’s not married although she’s in a relationship with a chap from London who works in a bank here, lots of folks from London working in banks here lately. Anyway I’m drifting again so I’ll get back to the point I'm trying to make, over serious people, or "stiff heads" as they are sometimes called.
She’s just got back from a two weeks holiday in France with her girlfriend, it seems the pair of them were sunbathing topless and a wasp stung her on the right breast, when she mentioned this at the table I spluttered and spilt me coffee all over me shirt, I couldn’t help laughing, she was disgusted saying it was no laughing matter and that it was still very sore, I said, jokingly of course, anyway I didn’t want to hear about her breasts in the first place, especially while I was eating, she brought the subject up, “Well it serves ya right you shameless little hussy, anyway it’s far from your arse so yeh won’t sit on it”. Then she folds her arms like a school mistress and says in her poshest accent “Do you know what Uncle Jimmy?, your lack of seriousness never ceases to amaze me!”
So there you have it, it would seem a “Lack of seriousness” is some sort of crime these days, Christ almighty, there is far too much seriousness in the world already, and I am only serious when I have to be serious, I’ve always been of an easy disposition and it has helped keep me sane cheerful and healthy all these years, over serious people end up as cranky old prunes, life’s a one way trip so do your best to enjoy the ride, that’s how I see it.
Long may there be a “Lack of seriousness” in this thread.
solo
UK

20-07-2019, 04:53 PM

No lack of agreeing with you on that one.

There is a way in avoiding serious matters, achievable with minimum effort, but no matter how you say "Shurrup", when seriousness arises it always comes across as rather rude to some. Can't think why as it's direct and to the point. No shillyshalling about with that one is there.

However as there are now so many things that are seen as serious they have become laughable... so problem solved and no discussion or shurups needed. End off .

Now wasp stings are seriously funny though not in a nasty way I hasten to add..but in the way of 'reactions'. First you have the blodcurdling shriek and the dance of death, which usually results in less than sympathtic laughter. Then the inevitable swelling in the area where the wasp imparted his annoyance and again sympathy comes second as viewing usually can't be done without some unconstrained eye watering mirth and lastly ..the telling.and retelling of the gruesome experience usually embellished for effect though Lord knows why as those that have been stung have surely been embelished enough.

Now you can see why I like worms. Worms don't bother anyone and you know their not serious by the way they wriggle out of things.
solo
UK

21-07-2019, 11:57 AM

Sunday thought....Try not to think of these the next time you are enjoying that Ravioli

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

21-07-2019, 02:17 PM

That's done it for me now, no more Ray and chips.

Funny enough I was watching one of the old Frankenstein films from the thirties on the projector last night, the screen covers the whole front window and it was like being in a cinema with the surround sound on, very enjoyable and herself enjoyed it too, It has been quite a few years since I watched these Frankenstein films, I have a set of five films including Son of Frankenstein and House of Frankenstein, they are all digitally remastered and you’d swear they were filmed yesterday, so crisp and clear in eye relaxing black and white.
The one we watched last night was Bride of Frankenstein, probably the best of them, it was made after the enormous success of the first one simple called “Frankenstein”, some critics, including that man of vast historical old film knowledge, Bod Monkhouse (R.I.P), say “Bride of Frankenstein” was the best ever sequel to any film ever made.
Elsa Lanchester plays Mary Shelley who introduces the story, she also plays the Bride. As I watched her talking on the big screen I noticed for the first time that she had a prominent dimple on her chin, the picture below shows it in full bloom, most unusual for a woman, how come loads of men have chin dimples and very few women have?, same with the Adams Apple, women haven’t got any, plenty of pairs, but no apples.

Who remembers this oldie, a very big hit in it's day?

solo
UK

21-07-2019, 05:18 PM

I remember that Kirk Douglas, Robert Mitchum, Cary Grant had dimples..does that count

Not a big fan of scary movies especially B/W ones as they seem to have more more horror impact than the colour ones..I don't understand why but they do.

The one B/W film that always sticks in my mind for being just a bit too realistic and far more terrifying than some poor wreck all bandaged up so as to hold his spare parts in place was The Third Man. Very creepy.

They say films have no influence...well that one gave me a good excuse to visit Vienna and walk those cobbled streets which are indeed very spooky at night, go to the Prata and ride the Wheel, run up and down the flight of steps by the Church of Maria am Gestadeand and walk down the Avenue at Zentral Friedhof. I did however draw the line at going into the sewer under Karlsplatz as you never quite lost that feeling that you were being followed.

Not wanting to scare any sensitive souls who like me jumps at any one lurking in doorways I will let Barbara explain more up to dately wot its all about and once she has finished plucking she gets down to explaining why good old Harry done wot he done.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top