Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 05:45 PM

Re: Holiday Insurance - watch out!

[QUOTE=AnnieS;1425721]The EHiC card covers any serious conditions in the same way that you'd be covered if you lived in that country. So there may be some charges depending on the country. In some places they still take your credit card details even though you have EHIC. That's what happened to SiL's mum in France.

But you should still take out travel insurance excluding the medical conditions for possessions etc.[/QUOTE

I think our possessions are covered by our home insurance Annie, so not terribly worried about them. It’s difficult to know what to do.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
That's a huge amount of money and I can understand how you feel , but there always comes the thought "what if" . I'm not sure how much cover the ehic card will give you . It's a big dilemma for you .
From what I’ve read so far, I think the EHIC card could cover us pretty well in France but as you say Susan, a bit of a dilemma!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 11:22 AM

Travelling without insurance would be rather irresponsible and potentially hugely devastating for your financial situation and future prosperity.

Discard thoughts about getting ill whilst you are abroad, yes your EEU card will sort that out.

Think instead about suddenly getting ill on your flight out to your destination. If your condition is critical, say heart attack or equivalent then the plane is going to be forced to take a detour, an unscheduled stop to the nearest airport to get you off and treated. That will disrupt the entire flight schedule, all the other passengers, transport links at the destination and so on.

Guess who will have to foot the bill for all of that disruption, and possibly the price to charter another aircraft ?

YOU !

You could end up liable for £50,000 or more quite easily.

You can't instruct airplane staff, train staff, coach staff to ignore your illness and condition if there is a serious problem. They are duty bound to take action and you will foot the bill for that action.

This is why holiday companies CAN insist that you have travel insurance although it does not have to be their own insurance that you take out.

I cruise a lot and the contract you enter into when taking a cruise mandates that you MUST have travel insurance thus:

"It is a condition of the Contract that every passenger must have valid travel insurance (which must cover for pre-existing medical conditions) in force for the entire duration of the Package"

It is regrettable that those people with significant illnesses and/or history of such are going to be penalised heavily with insurance, just as bad drivers with a reckless history of accidents are penalised heavily for car insurance.

Regrettable but there it is.

For me, it's another good reason to avoid as far as possible the NHS and health industries because their business and profits are achieved by putting people on "conveyor belt" paths of pills, tablets and treatments which are drawn out and move from one treatment to the next. Cure one thing but create the next condition which then needs more pills which cure that thing but then create the next . . . . and so on ad infinitum.

Sick people are a total cash cow for an unscrupulous health industry and that extends into travel insurance too. Don't be a victim of that imo.
Val J
East Yorkshire

30-05-2018, 01:32 PM

Thanks Realist, I’m not actually flying but taking a short ferry over to France, but I realise the same could happen if taken ill on a boat.

I have actually found a cheaper quote. However expensive repatriation etc is, I doubt it would add up to £10 million!

Thank you for drawing my attention to the above.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
We weren’t going to renew our passports when they ran out last year because of my illness, but we decided we could maybe manage a trip over to France to see hubby’s twin brother and his wife. Next job, travel insurance, so keyed in all our details to one of the comparison sites. What a shock when the results came through, out of three quotes, the cheapest was £933 for 10 days holiday in France!!

Much as we would love to go we are not prepared to pay almost £1000 for insurance and are wondering whether to risk just relying on the EHIC card. Wondered what others think.
You will be fine on the EHIC card -up to oct 31st at least
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 11:35 AM

– Snip –

Much as we would love to go we are not prepared to pay almost £1000 for insurance and are wondering whether to risk just relying on the EHIC card. Wondered what others think.
It might be worth your while to try an insurance broker rather than relying on comparison websites, they can often get you a better deal. They also get quotes from insurance companies only available to insurance brokers. I recently found this out when insuring my car and I have heard this also applies to health insurance.

I've always used an insurance broker for all my insurance needs and surprisingly a couple of times my renewal premiums have been cheaper than the previous year!
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 12:14 PM

From what I’ve read so far, I think the EHIC card could cover us pretty well in France but as you say Susan, a bit of a dilemma!
Oh I think you’re being very optimistic by saying that .

My cousin had two heart attacks ,both while he was abroad and necessitating an air ambulance back to the UK both times .

Never overlook possible costs of repatriation should the worst occur . That’s something no one can predict ?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 12:45 PM

I think you are right, Zuleika. You should never under estimate the need for travel insurance, if going abroad. My Mum's situation drummed that in for me 7 years ago. Had the insurance not covered the cost of repatriating her back to the UK, in a full coma which she never recovered from, the only people in a position to pay would have been myself, and my older sister, and it would have probably wiped out our savings. My blood runs cold, even now all these years later, at the thought. And until a nurse from the insurance company rang and said we were covered, I was a wreck.

Do not stint on insurance! And declare everything.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I think you are right, Zuleika. You should never under estimate the need for travel insurance, if going abroad. My Mum's situation drummed that in for me 7 years ago. Had the insurance not covered the cost of repatriating her back to the UK, in a full coma which she never recovered from, the only people in a position to pay would have been myself, and my older sister, and it would have probably wiped out our savings. My blood runs cold, even now all these years later, at the thought. And until a nurse from the insurance company rang and said we were covered, I was a wreck.

Do not stint on insurance! And declare everything.
Absolutely agree . If you can’t afford the insurance don’t take the holiday is my own rule .
Another instance is if you have to stay in a hospital
your partner’s going to want accommodation ?
A friend had to do this for several weeks , they had Saga Insurance tho not on a Saga holiday . She said Saga paid for everything including her hotel stay .
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 09:14 AM

Ive resurected this thread as i need some advice please .
I have a couple of friends who are a lovely hungarian couple living near me . Their family have paid for them a three week holiday to USA. The wife has breast cancer and shes had a breast off and the cancer has been removed and they are now rebuilding her breast tissue and in 5 weeks she will have a breast inplant .

I was talking to them yesterday and they did not realise the importance of travel insurance so i have said ill see if i can help them get it . They leave in 11 weeks end of september .

I noted the money supermarket site but im wondering if any of you can recommend a company that takes cancer patients .

Thankyou

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top