Join for free
Page 17 of 22 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 05:46 PM

Re: Vitamin D Defficiency and Mobility Issues in Old People

Originally Posted by Julie
...people don't like me fine, I can take that, but to say some things just aren't right and need speaking about.
So that's when you hit the report button and tell admin in that little box exactly why you're enraged.
If they're doing a good job and the post is breaking rules the offending post will be removed.
If not raise hell!!!

Bickering on and on is pointless.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I can't be bothered with all this.
Clearly this forum is not for me. Not anymore. Too much bickering. Since when did we all become so judgmental of each other. It never used to be like this.
Well as I said it builds up. I don't think the thread azz started has helped either as some very nasty things were said and very few apologies given.

Actually that's part of the problem hardly anyone apologizes.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 06:16 PM

And I hope this isn’t considered hijacking the thread talking about mental health since it’s still considered health but I’d like to address the topic of having mental disorders and not being diagnosed or even realize you have them.

I was raised by two very narcissistic parents who had undiagnosed mental disorders. They were exceptionally good at picking out other people’s faults but could never see their own.

My father would spent hours straightened out bent nails instead of buying some more or glue a dollar cup over and over again that couldn’t be washed in a dishwasher instead of purchasing another. He could obsess over one thing done that wasn’t to his satisfaction after you’ve spent days helping him.

My husband and I used to poke fun of him at times. He’d spent an entire summer helping them build their house from a cottage to a permanent home so had full awareness of their actions and behaviours. For years he’s been telling me that I have OCD tendencies and while I was somewhat aware it wasn’t until THIS year that I realized that I’m probably FAR worse than my father.

In just over a month I’ll be 59 and never realized this before. Now looking back I can see how it’s affecting my life and am starting to learn why I get tripped up when trying to communicate to others at times.
It’s hard enough dealing with people who don’t have any mental disorders but when dealing with people who also have them, it can be very difficult.

It was a huge wake up call for me and made me view my aging parents very differently. It’s still difficult communicating but with this new awareness I think it has made things much better. My husband claims I’m much better.

I’m adding this as an example because sometimes it is difficult for people to self evaluate their own communicating style and sometimes we have unrecognized mental issues which can interfere with trying to communicate properly.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
And I hope this isn’t considered hijacking the thread talking about mental health since it’s still considered health but I’d like to address the topic of having mental disorders and not being diagnosed or even realize you have them.

I was raised by two very narcissistic parents who had undiagnosed mental disorders. They were exceptionally good at picking out other people’s faults but could never see their own.

My father would spent hours straightened out bent nails instead of buying some more or glue a dollar cup over and over again that couldn’t be washed in a dishwasher instead of purchasing another. He could obsess over one thing done that wasn’t to his satisfaction after you’ve spent days helping him.

My husband and I used to poke fun of him at times. He’d spent an entire summer helping them build their house from a cottage to a permanent home so had full awareness of their actions and behaviours. For years he’s been telling me that I have OCD tendencies and while I was somewhat aware it wasn’t until THIS year that I realized that I’m probably FAR worse than my father.

In just over a month I’ll be 59 and never realized this before. Now looking back I can see how it’s affecting my life and am starting to learn why I get tripped up when trying to communicate to others at times.
It’s hard enough dealing with people who don’t have any mental disorders but when dealing with people who also have them, it can be very difficult.

It was a huge wake up call for me and made me view my aging parents very differently. It’s still difficult communicating but with this new awareness I think it has made things much better. My husband claims I’m much better.

I’m adding this as an example because sometimes it is difficult for people to self evaluate their own communicating style and sometimes we have unrecognized mental issues which can interfere with trying to communicate properly.
Thank you for that very personal explanation on the open forum Bratti. I hope people will now understand that you were not being nasty in suggesting mental health issues, you were just offering a possible explanation for somebody being so intent on getting their point across!
Rest assured that you are not the first person to mention that.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 08:23 PM

Back on track . . .

An interesting article here

The Largest Ever Clinical Study on Vitamin D Shows We're Wrong About One of Its Main Benefits

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-lar...t-its-benefits

"There is little agreement on what vitamin D deficiency is. Deficiency levels are arbitrary with no international consensus and confusion caused by different units in the US. A "normal" level can vary from 50 to 80 nanomole per litre of blood, but recent studies suggest 30nmol is quite enough."

"Patients with very high vitamin D blood levels (over 100nmol) are becoming routine in my clinic and elsewhere, and toxic overdoses are increasingly being reported. Several randomised trials have shown that patients with high blood levels or taking large doses of vitamin D (above 800IU) had an unexpected increased risk of falls and fractures. Vitamin D is far from safe."

"We have created another pseudo-disease that is encouraged by vitamin companies, patient groups, food manufacturers public health departments and charities. Everyone likes to believe in a miracle vitamin pill and feels "they are doing something".

Vitamin D, despite its star status, would not be called a vitamin today, as the doses needed are too large, the body can synthesise it from skin, and it is a steroid precursor. Instead of relying on this impostor, healthy people should get vitamin D from small doses of sunshine every day as well as from food, such as fish, oil, mushrooms and dairy products."

An interesting read imo. This seems to gel with the various posts of different members in this thread who had differing Vit D levels but were all told they were deficient or not deficient seemingly inconsistently.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 08:24 PM

@Ruthio

Did you get to ask your doctor about whether you should be taking Vit K2 with Vit D?

I'd be interested to know what he/she says if you did
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
@Ruthio

Did you get to ask your doctor about whether you should be taking Vit K2 with Vit D?

I'd be interested to know what he/she says if you did
Yes I would too . Ruthio's around but hasn't come back in here . I was interested in Julie's posts too regarding she was having trouble with mobility .
Particularly in those elderly too who find rising from a chair difficult and/ or their leg muscles not supporting movement surely not wrong to check their VitD levels instead of brushing their symptoms off as age related or arthritis ?
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
The lovely Dr. Michael Mosley has an interesting documentary on BBC 2 9pm tonight.

It is a Horizon documentary, and is called "The Placebo Experiement - Can my Brain Cure my Body?"

It says . . "Could the power of fake pills be used to treat some of our most common medical complaints?"

Should be interesting.
Is it a repeat? I think I remember something similar? was one participant an old guy in a wheelchair? ..He managed to get on a boat/barge or something at the end?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 06:02 PM

Noel needs some Vitamin D I think...
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Yes I would too . Ruthio's around but hasn't come back in here . I was interested in Julie's posts too regarding she was having trouble with mobility .
Particularly in those elderly too who find rising from a chair difficult and/ or their leg muscles not supporting movement surely not wrong to check their VitD levels instead of brushing their symptoms off as age related or arthritis ?
Thank you for pointing this topic out again

I am 76 and for the last six months have had trouble with my legs, never thought it was lack of Vit D

Am off to see the doctor on Sep 4 after my latest blood test was showing a lack of B 12

Page 17 of 22 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top