Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
tony58
London, UK
tony58 is male  tony58 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 01:29 AM

Re: The Highway Code

I looked at it about a year ago when one of my boys was going to do the theory test. I also read the section for cyclists, to see how many laws some of them seem to break every day...
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 07:25 AM

Talking of driving, come on, own up, who has still got their old, dark red, cloth-bound driving licence?

I have!

(Mind you, the only current licence I have is still the green paper one, as I haven't got round to converting it to a photocard yet! )
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 02:15 PM

I tend to hate these kind of pithy tests because they are fraught with ambiguities.

The tyre tread question.

Strict answer 1.6mm yet every expert out there takes it as 3mm because tyre performance and stopping distance are drastically reduced below 3mm. I'm pleased therefore to know the realistic right answer to that one. 3mm.

The question about invalidating your warranty by using an independent garage. Ambiguous. If the local garage fits an incorrect or dodgy part which subsequently damages the engine or other significant component then for sure, the manufacturer isn't going to honour your warranty. Turn up to the main dealer to get the engine fixed and they'll charge you for the costs and you'll be fighting the local garage for the damages. So, a bit of a silly question.

If the work was done at a main dealer and THEY damaged the engine then no question your warranty would be intact and they would pay all costs.

The question about when using a mobile phone is illegal. Ambiguous. It didn't state whether you are driving or not at the time. One of the options was "when on the motorway to call 999 in an emergency". Are they actually saying it's fine to use your mobile phone WHILST DRIVING to call 999? Surely they would expect you to pull over first?!

And like others here I didn't get the lane merging question correct. The reality is people don't merge in turn because the queues are formed way back from where the lane closes and everyone knows people in the right lane are just pushing in. So it will always be. Nonsense question imo.

As ever, the one thing you learn quickly after passing your driving test is that learning the rules to pass the test is one thing, but actually learning the law of the road jungle is an entirely different thing. One has to become streetwise very quickly.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Talking of driving, come on, own up, who has still got their old, dark red, cloth-bound driving licence?

I have!

(Mind you, the only current licence I have is still the green paper one, as I haven't got round to converting it to a photocard yet! )
I still have my pink license from the eighties but I had to buy the new crap Euro one when I moved and will have to buy another crap Euro one when that one runs out.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I tend to hate these kind of pithy tests because they are fraught with ambiguities.

The tyre tread question.

Strict answer 1.6mm yet every expert out there takes it as 3mm because tyre performance and stopping distance are drastically reduced below 3mm. I'm pleased therefore to know the realistic right answer to that one. 3mm.

The question about invalidating your warranty by using an independent garage. Ambiguous. If the local garage fits an incorrect or dodgy part which subsequently damages the engine or other significant component then for sure, the manufacturer isn't going to honour your warranty. Turn up to the main dealer to get the engine fixed and they'll charge you for the costs and you'll be fighting the local garage for the damages. So, a bit of a silly question.

If the work was done at a main dealer and THEY damaged the engine then no question your warranty would be intact and they would pay all costs.

The question about when using a mobile phone is illegal. Ambiguous. It didn't state whether you are driving or not at the time. One of the options was "when on the motorway to call 999 in an emergency". Are they actually saying it's fine to use your mobile phone WHILST DRIVING to call 999? Surely they would expect you to pull over first?!

And like others here I didn't get the lane merging question correct. The reality is people don't merge in turn because the queues are formed way back from where the lane closes and everyone knows people in the right lane are just pushing in. So it will always be. Nonsense question imo.

As ever, the one thing you learn quickly after passing your driving test is that learning the rules to pass the test is one thing, but actually learning the law of the road jungle is an entirely different thing. One has to become streetwise very quickly.
All true but their main aim is to get us to shop in Halfords.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

18-02-2019, 02:23 PM

Well I got 10/10 but found most of them were just common sense. The ones that weren't make money for the government.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 05:46 PM

OK

For the first time in 50 years I picked up a the highway code to day and will give it a good read

Had just finished a speed awarness course which did open my eyes to certain speed signs, their placings if they are placed as a gate.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Had just finished a speed awarness course which did open my eyes to certain speed signs, their placings if they are placed as a gate.
SACs are total crud imho. They use kidology to make people think a certain way but their content just doesn't make sense when you stop and think it through.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

The tyre tread question.

Definitely agree with the 3mm tyre tread depth, servicing and manufacturers warranties are a bit of a grey area, I suppose if you’re travelling down the motorway, and some maniac is following you and pointing a gun out the window, you’d have to pull over to phone the police, ( yeah right)...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 09:45 PM

I last read the Highway code in around 1962/3. Don't think much has changed as crashes still happen.

Brake peddle travel can affect stopping distance as well as below

As for tyres are they talking about radial-crossply- all terrain-snow- road type, let alone what classification the tyre is rated at, etc .Stopping distance alters on the type of tyre used as well as if a car has disc or drum brakes. Not only that but if the road is a tarmac or concrete . Consistancy of the tarmac also applies as to its ability to slow down a car

So stopping distance is a load of tosh

Still got this one from 1971 my second little red book
Don't have the very first one from 1962/3

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top