Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 11:57 AM

Re: The Highway Code

Originally Posted by Shelfordian ->
The modern HC is a most unsatisfactory document.

It tells you, when approaching a roundabout, to "select the most appropriate lane". Back in the day, it used to contain principles for determining WHICH lane that was, with diagrams showing the line you should drive through the roundabout. That was helpful ... the modern tosh is not.

(Actually, of course, you can no longer drive those lines through most roundabouts, because they have painted white lines round the roundabouts which "spin you outwards" to your exit ... and the line they take is totally different!)
Principles and diagrams available online:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles...-rules-159-203

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles...ix-roundabouts
Shelfordian
New Member!
Bedfordshire, England
Shelfordian is male 

24-03-2019, 12:27 PM

Those are good and useful diagrams.

The most misunderstood of all rules on roundabouts:

when entering a roundabout, give way to traffic on the roundabout
Widely misquoted as "give way to traffic from the right" ... which is NOT what it says. The number of times I have entered a clear roundabout with a slow-moving vehicle, only to have a speeding motorist join after me from the road to my right, and blare their horn at me because they think they have right of way. Nope. I was already on the roundabout ... so they are supposed to give way to me.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shelfordian ->
The modern HC is a most unsatisfactory document.

It tells you, when approaching a roundabout, to "select the most appropriate lane". Back in the day, it used to contain principles for determining WHICH lane that was, with diagrams showing the line you should drive through the roundabout. That was helpful ... the modern tosh is not.

(Actually, of course, you can no longer drive those lines through most roundabouts, because they have painted white lines round the roundabouts which "spin you outwards" to your exit ... and the line they take is totally different!)
Around this area the white arrows painted on roads are either very faded and in need of repainting or do actually indicate two different directions on the approach lanes to a roundabout with four exits. On an approach road of two lanes they actually show an arrow pointing straight on and left in the nearside lane to take the first exit or straight on. The offside lane marking has an arrow pointing both straight on and to the right to continue round the roundabout to take the third exit. Rather confusing to say the least but most drivers manage to use a common sense approach without cutting anyone up.

Incidentally, there's an online copy of the Highway Code if required, download it on the link below:

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/uplo...-11-2018_2.pdf
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 11:43 AM

One thing I dislike is that there are two options for turning right at a crossroads when there is a car n the other carriageway also turning right.

The options are that the cars turn right side to right side (nose to tail) or left side to left side (in front of each other).

According to the Highway Code, it's up to the drivers to choose, unless there are directional arrows, etc. on the road surface.

In the absence of specific road markings to the contrary, I much prefer right side to right side as it's so much safer, but nobody seems to do it any more!

I'm sure I was taught that as the only option, but it was aeons ago, so I can't be sure if it was optional then as well.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 12:02 PM

When the kids were learning to drive 18 months or so ago, we both sat down and read it and inwardly digested a lot had changed.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 08:26 PM

I must admit the last time I read the Highway code there were instructions on how to signal with a whip if driving a horse carriage.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2019, 07:59 AM

Not seen or read the highway code since taking the driving test in around 1962. Saying that never had any endorsements up to now so must have learnt something. That includes having to drive a van while working with BT for over 20 years on a daily basis.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2019, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Not seen or read the highway code since taking the driving test in around 1962. Saying that never had any endorsements up to now so must have learnt something. That includes having to drive a van while working with BT for over 20 years on a daily basis.
More speed cams, traffic light and mobile camera vans about now though, your lucky if you don’t get caught on today’s roads..
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2019, 08:41 AM

Oh Dear!! I must admit the last time I studied the Highway Code there was a section telling you how to give signals with a whip when driving a horse drawn vehicle.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top