Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 07:03 AM

Re: When in Rome...

Here's the video rendering ancient Rome. The computer generated video starts after a brief introduction:

Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 07:18 AM

If you like sculpture go to see michaelangelo's David in the "Gallery of the Academy of Florence".

It brought tears to my eyes when I saw it, as even his cuticles are shown in the sculpting.

I am sure you will love Italy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Michael angelos David.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	9691

Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
If you like sculpture go to see michaelangelo's David in the "Gallery of the Academy of Florence".

It brought tears to my eyes when I saw it, as even his cuticles are shown in the sculpting.

Attachment 9691
His cute what?

Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
His cute what?

Don't be cheeky, you know what I meant!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 07:36 AM

Don't be cheeky, you know what I meant!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 08:28 PM

Attachment 9691
When I visited Florence David still used to stand in a piazza. You'd walk around a corner past many al fresco diners, only to be confronted by his enormous cuticles! It was quite an eyeful.
Pyxell
South of England

28-05-2019, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
When I visited Florence David still used to stand in a piazza. You'd walk around a corner past many al fresco diners, only to be confronted by his enormous cuticles! It was quite an eyeful.

There were two Davids......

The original had been in the piazza, but then to conserve it, it was moved to the museum, and an exact copy was put in the piazza.

I admit, the one in the piazza had more of an impact.
Maybe because it was mounted higher up.
The perspective, you see.

His hands. His hands were thought to be out of proportion, until you realise that they were viewed from way below.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->

There were two Davids......

The original had been in the piazza, but then to conserve it, it was moved to the museum, and an exact copy was put in the piazza.

I admit, the one in the piazza had more of an impact.
Maybe because it was mounted higher up.
The perspective, you see.

His hands. His hands were thought to be out of proportion, until you realise that they were viewed from way below.
Very intersesting. I thought he had big feet, but then I guess it's all a matter of perspective!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 09:34 AM

I absolutely love Italy too, and am very envious.

Most members here have given good advice for you to follow. I just want to add some more. I know that Venice is now considering, or already started, charging a tourist tax. They also forbid you to sit on steps/shop fronts - forget where exactly, but just be careful - (and Rome has similar) as they can and will issue fines of many Euros! Venice is also very expensive, especially if wanting to sit with a coffee in the main square.

I loved Sorrento and would wander from one liquor shop to another, trying samples of the local drink Limoncello. If they ask if you've tried it before, just say no and declare 'oh, that's delicious!' But don't bother buying a bottle when it's probably so readily available in your home stores, like here. And it doesn't taste the same, either.

I agree about the peace and tranquility of sitting beside a Lake. I've been to both Garda and Maggiore.

Also vehemently agree about watching for pick pockets but that can apply to many countries. Just be careful, watchful and vigilant, and all the rest.

Croatia is also a lovely country. Mum and I did a cruise stop off at Dubrovnik, and after wandering about the town (no we weren't fit enough to climb the walls) we went on a coach trip to a nearby place that was by the sea (think it was Cavtat) and the views on the way along the coastline were just amazing.

Hope you have an amazing time, when you go. Bet you can't wait.

Edited.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 04:19 AM

Attachment 9691
Oh, Twin, thank you. I wouldn't miss David! I am looking forward to the Accademia, but am sad that I'm just a little more than a week late in missing Vetruvian Man .

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I absolutely love Italy too, and am very envious.

Most members here have given good advice for you to follow. I just want to add some more. I know that Venice is now considering, or already started, charging a tourist tax. They also forbid you to sit on steps/shop fronts - forget where exactly, but just be careful - (and Rome has similar) as they can and will issue fines of many Euros! Venice is also very expensive, especially if wanting to sit with a coffee in the main square.

I loved Sorrento and would wander from one liquor shop to another, trying samples of the local drink Limoncello. If they ask if you've tried it before, just say no and declare 'oh, that's delicious!' But don't bother buying a bottle when it's probably so readily available in your home stores, like here. And it doesn't taste the same, either.

I agree about the peace and tranquility of sitting beside a Lake. I've been to both Garda and Maggiore.

Also vehemently agree about watching for pick pockets but that can apply to many countries. Just be careful, watchful and vigilant, and all the rest.

Croatia is also a lovely country. Mum and I did a cruise stop off at Dubrovnik, and after wandering about the town (no we weren't fit enough to climb the walls) we went on a coach trip to a nearby place that was by the sea (think it was Cavtat) and the views on the way along the coastline were just amazing.

Hope you have an amazing time, when you go. Bet you can't wait.

Edited.
You're so right; I can't wait! This will be my first time visiting Europe and I am over the moon happy about this adventure.

Sorrento is one of the places I plan to enjoy without taking an excursion. I've heard such good things about roaming around the city, and yes, enjoying a limoncello...or two.

The information about the fines and taxes are good to know. It's the first I've heard about either.

The walls of the Old City in Dubrovnik are on the list, though I am thinking that later in the day might be better when the crowds thin.

Thank you, Jazzi for all the helpful advice.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top