Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 09:23 PM

Where the Hell Are The Fjords Anyway

I started my search for the Norwegian Fjords from South Yorkshire at 9:30am this morning. I proceeded down a traffic logged M1 to an even more traffic logged A43 passing through Towcester (pronounced Toaster) past Silverstone, and eventually finding a totally gridlocked M40.

Fortunately we only required to travel one junction on the M40 but it took us over half an hour to complete the five mile stretch. The A34 past Oxford was marginally better and by the time we had passed those dreamy spires the traffic flowed normally.

That was until we reached the slip road onto the M3 where queueing began again. Travelling south on the M3, and after some discussion concerning navigation, I decided to disagree with the sat nav and leave the motorway at junction 9....

It turned out to be a good choice as we entered Winchester via Eastern lane which turned into Wales Street, and finally arriving at the Mercure Wessex Hotel right next to the Cathedral...It looked rather impressive from the outside, but on closer inspection of the room we realised that it would have benefitted from a refurbishment...

No matter, I was so tired after the 200 mile drive I would have slept in one of the comfy chairs in reception. However, I can't sleep on an empty stomach, so we foraged around the town centre and settled at a very acceptable Italian Restaurant. The food was exceptional, and so was the bill. But after a large glass of Malbec and a stagger back to the hotel, I didn't have a care in the world....

Tomorrow with the help of the P&O ship Azura, the search for the Fjords will continue, that's if I can re-pack all the luggage back into the motor....
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 09:35 PM

Re: Where the Hell Are The Fjords Anyway

I'm very envious, well, no, I'll be honest, I'm very jealous of your trip to the Ffjords. A trip I would dearly love to do but funds won't allow.

Enjoy every minute of that cruise and take tons of photos, I'm waiting in anticipation.

Big hugs Foxy, have a fantabulous time.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 09:50 PM

Well worth the effort. Your camera will get a good workout.. Love to go back again for longer than the. 2 weeks we did.. Don't go blind looking at the lovely women either
we sailed from Southampton as it is not far from us.

this is what to expect

our ship at Flam if my memory serves me correctly

The whole trip everything was undescribable, never seen such stunning scenery out of all the cruises and holidays we have had. Photos don't do it justice, it is one of those places that can only really be appreciated by actually being there.

Just one thing the price of everything is expensive, best to eat and drink on board

I took nealy 1000 photos and that is not including videos
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 10:12 PM

Oh, gosh I am jealous too! Of everything but that bumper to bumper commute, that is.

Traffic, bad hotels, the discovery of an unexpectedly perfect out-of-the-way dining spot (even if the bill is absurd), and even a little too much wine is all part of it!

The Great Fjord Adventure or 2019 is afoot!

Here's to a smooth embarkation, and if someone hands you a glass of something with bubbles, you deserve it. Have a grand time. .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 11:32 PM

Have a great time Bob, I hope you manage to get one of your long walks in.

Looking forward to your photos...
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 06:19 AM

Seems odd to go from Yorkshire to Southampton in order to get to Norway, seeing as how in Yorkshire you're halfway there already!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 07:25 AM

Thanks for all your replies, I'll do my best to post photos and reports. That looks brilliant Realspeed, I don't think my photos will be as good as yours, but I'll do my best....

It's a hard job Lion Queen but somebody's got to do it, it will be a lot easier with your hugs.....Thanks....x

Surfermom, my first glass of bubbly will be consumed with you in mind....Enjoy Italy...x

Thanks Mags, I'll try and get a long walk around the deck once we are seabourne. Stand by for Photos....

I know what you mean Pyxell, it would be nice to have sailed from Hull after a nice pint of something with Floydy. I always enjoy driving though even if it was at walking pace some of the time....

I'm going now because time, tide and P&O ships wait for no man..
A full English breakfast first though......
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks for all your replies, I'll do my best to post photos and reports. That looks brilliant Realspeed, I don't think my photos will be as good as yours, but I'll do my best....

It's a hard job Lion Queen but somebody's got to do it, it will be a lot easier with your hugs.....Thanks....x

Surfermom, my first glass of bubbly will be consumed with you in mind....Enjoy Italy...x

Thanks Mags, I'll try and get a long walk around the deck once we are seabourne. Stand by for Photos....

I know what you mean Pyxell, it would be nice to have sailed from Hull after a nice pint of something with Floydy. I always enjoy driving though even if it was at walking pace some of the time....

I'm going now because time, tide and P&O ships wait for no man..
A full English breakfast first though
Is a full English wise before braving the North Sea?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 10:11 AM

If OGF doesn't come back saying how amazing the scenery is, then he is either drunk or stays in bed the whole trip. As for photos it is almost impossible not to take great ones unless one forgets to take/charge up the camera battery first.
What i would say is often the north sea is full of potholes, so the ship goes into not around them.

Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 11:42 AM

Seeing Realists pictures and reading your text so far
OGF, Has started my wanderlust off again!
I wish you a safe journey and lots of excitement!

BRegards Donkeyman!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top