Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 11:59 AM

All the Queen's Horses.....

Watching the Trooping of the Colour......what a lot of lovely horses!

The drum horses are particularly lovely.......shire horses, I believe.
Apparently, drum horses always have the rank of Major!

We take horses for granted, really, as they are so common, but when you think about them objectively, they are pretty incredible beaties!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 12:01 PM

Re: All the Queen's Horses.....

Just seen them

They are ABSOLUTELY MAGNIFICENT !
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 12:20 PM

If there's one thing I want to do, it's to learn to ride.

Just a little bit.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 12:21 PM

Go for it Pyxell !
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 03:18 PM

I couldn’t take my eyes off the horses today and as Muddy says, they were magnificent.
I loved the black horses and the ones like cart horses, were they Shire horses? Don’t laugh, but l thought how clever they were to keep their heads down as they trotted along but then realised the rider was operating the rein with his feet!

I see they had a special vet in attendance for the horses today.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 04:43 PM

It is wonderful to see them on the beach.

http://www.norfolk-on-line.co.uk/hun...holkham-beach/
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->

We take horses for granted, really, as they are so common, but when you think about them objectively, they are pretty incredible beaties!
They are wonderful creatures. So gentle - especially the Shires - they are often referred to as 'gentle giants'.

Not far from where I live there is a stables that runs a "riding for the the disabled" scheme - mainly for children - and to see how the horses react to/with the children is pure magic.
Pyxell
South of England

08-06-2019, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
It is wonderful to see them on the beach.

http://www.norfolk-on-line.co.uk/hun...holkham-beach/
That was a very interesting article. Thanks for that!

I've got a vague memory from some time back, of a documentary which mentioned the drum horses and how they were trained, very, very gradually, to accept two wacking great kettle drums being banged on their backs! Quite remarkable for a horse to be able to get used to that!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 03:02 AM

She obviously read the book our PM gave her on his recent visit and insisted all the horses look as good.

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Watching the Trooping of the Colour......what a lot of lovely horses!

The drum horses are particularly lovely.......shire horses, I believe.
Apparently, drum horses always have the rank of Major!
Actually I doubt they would be pure breed Shires, the males are too strong to be used as individuals they are probably bred with a smaller breed with a better temperament like Clydedales. I am guessing.

(My mother's family was one of the foremost breeders of Shires before the war - she used to tell me about them and she bore the scar where one kicked her)
Pyxell
South of England

09-06-2019, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
She obviously read the book our PM gave her on his recent visit and insisted all the horses look as good.

Actually I doubt they would be pure breed Shires, the males are too strong to be used as individuals they are probably bred with a smaller breed with a better temperament like Clydedales. I am guessing.

(My mother's family was one of the foremost breeders of Shires before the war - she used to tell me about them and she bore the scar where one kicked her)
That's interesting!
I must admit, I was wondering if they were full shires or something else, so that makes sense.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top