Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 04:54 PM

Re: Hoorah! The Cheat's Way of Never Having to Flip an Egg Ever Again!

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
As soon as I saw the thread title I thought Oh, she doesn't know about using a lid

My ex-MIL used to keep a frying pan on the hob with 2 inches of solid fat in it just for frying eggs, so she could splash it all over the tops of them
Nicol, my mum did exactly the same. She would keep a small frying pan with Lard in it and a large plate over it, and use it all week. No such thing as easy spray or oil in those days! and no way would a melted block of Lard be thrown away after just one use.
Easy enough back then to splash eggs as they were usually swimming in it. (still tasted yummy though when I was young). Imagine the squeals of shock that would come from the health experts today!)

Sob! No Nicol, I did not know about a lid!!! no-one ever told me. when my gorillas were young I would just crack 6 eggs in at a time into an extra large frying pan that was flogged to death. I would use half oil and a big knob of butter (so unhealthy) and a spoon to splash them. They would end up half sunny side up and half covered sometimes but the gorillas always ate them.

I keep thinking of all those lovely wasted fresh eggs that I discarded when the yolk broke. Sigh, wish I had known about a lid. I have always used a splatter guard until now.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
There's always a double-sided egg
frying-pan....just flip the pan over!
I didn't know about those either Pyxell!! You are talking to someone living in the countryside - we don't have new fangled things like a double sided egg frying pan around here.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

15-06-2019, 05:06 PM

All I can say is thank goodness for the Internet. I have learned so much in the last 5 years or so, including how to cook steaks correctly, which I had always failed at. God bless whoever created the world wide web!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I didn't know about those either Pyxell!! You are talking to someone living in the countryside - we don't have new fangled things like a double sided egg frying pan around here.
I had never heard of those - in fact I thought Pyxell was joking - but they have them on EBay! Sorry for doubting you, Pyxell!!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I had never heard of those - in fact I thought Pyxell was joking - but they have them on EBay! Sorry for doubting you, Pyxell!!
'S ok.

No-one ever believes me.

I'm used to it.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 05:21 PM

Talking about discarding fried eggs with broken yolks.......you need a Jack Spratt and his wife scenario...

I don't like runny yolks; I like my yolks pretty much cooked through, or at least without them running. If you'd crisped up those broken ones, I'd have eaten them!

I'd like fried eggs more if they could invent a yolkless egg!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 05:27 PM

This is all well and good but my problem is that I always break one of the yokes when breaking the shell. Doesn't matter if I cook 1,2,3 or 4 eggs, I will always break one of them.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

15-06-2019, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
This is all well and good but my problem is that I always break one of the yokes when breaking the shell. Doesn't matter if I cook 1,2,3 or 4 eggs, I will always break one of them.
Now funnily enough, that never happens to me LD.
I make a crack very gently in the top of the egg with a butter knife because it is blunt rather than sharp, then I put the egg as near to the pan as possible, keeping the crack in the shell still on the top, carefully open up the egg and let it slide down into the pan from close quarters. Works every time!
The only time I have broken a yolk when placing in the pan is when I cracked it and opened the egg from the bottom into the pan, inevitably the yolk would catch on one of the jagged shells and it was another 10p in the swearbox.

Do try it that way LD.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Now funnily enough, that never happens to me LD.
I make a crack very gently in the top of the egg with a butter knife because it is blunt rather than sharp, then I put the egg as near to the pan as possible, keeping the crack in the shell still on the top, carefully open up the egg and let it slide down into the pan from close quarters. Works every time!
The only time I have broken a yolk when placing in the pan is when I cracked it and opened the egg from the bottom into the pan, inevitabley the yolk would catch on one of the jagged shells and it was another 10p in the swearbox.

Do try it that way LD.
I normally use the blunt knife method, sometimes I don't hit it hard enough, sometimes I hit it too hard. It's that first one that always catches me out. Tried it on the side of the pan but still happens.

Pyxell
South of England

15-06-2019, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I normally use the blunt knife method, sometimes I don't hit it hard enough, sometimes I hit it too hard. It's that first one that always catches me out. Tried it on the side of the pan but still happens.

That's your mistake (I reckon)...... using a knife.

I always crack them on the edge of the dish/bowl and never, ever break the yolk.

The edge of the pan might be too thick.

Or maybe you're just using too much brute force?

Try having a meditation session before you attempt to fry an egg, thinking gentle thoughts, and then approach the egg as you would a beautiful woman...........

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top