Join for free
billclay
west Yorkshire
billclay is male  billclay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 07:43 AM

Should i leave it to the experts.

I am at the moment running on windows 7, apparently this will no longer be supported after this year, would it be difficult to load windows 10,or should I take it to my local computer firm, at a cost obviously.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 08:35 AM

Re: Should i leave it to the experts.

Get a new computer. They've never before been so cheap and such good value.

Keep the old one as a backup, especially if it's a space-saving laptop.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by billclay ->
I am at the moment running on windows 7, apparently this will no longer be supported after this year, would it be difficult to load windows 10,or should I take it to my local computer firm, at a cost obviously.
Lots of people are still using W7 and even earlier editions.

The "No longer Supported" message means that MS will not help you fix it if it goes wrong and, probably, there will be no further updates to W7 software (including security updates).

I'd start by looking to see if my W7 machine is capable of being upgraded.Has it got what it needs to move upwards?

Help with that is here:-

https://pureinfotech.com/upgrade-to-...rom-windows-7/

There are other places where you can get info if you search.

The actual upgrade is not as bad as some people suggest - you can back it out if it goes wrong.

It is possible that you can still get the upgrade free, if you search the web. That would save you about 100 pounds.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 09:12 AM

I'm with Dood on this one if it was running Win7 then it is at least 5 years old and definitely time to upgrade.

Running Win10 on an old computer is like putting lipstick on a pig (though it has to be said WIN10 is pretty fast compared to 7 and 8), you will be amazed how a newer processor speeds things up.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by billclay ->
From personal experience I would say continue using win7 for as long as possible, even if certain things are no longer supported. Win10 is a pile of shyte in my humble opinion. I mean what other system requires you to opt 'out' from certain sites viewing you through your web cam? Time for black tape just in case.

I don't know how in to computers you are Bill but there's a lot of stuff on there that I will never, ever use or wish to use. To me, the whole thing seems to be about keeping you in touch with others unless you opt out.

Just my opinion of course, I just want an easy life.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I'm with Dood on this one if it was running Win7 then it is at least 5 years old and definitely time to upgrade.

Running Win10 on an old computer is like putting lipstick on a pig (though it has to be said WIN10 is pretty fast compared to 7 and 8), you will be amazed how a newer processor speeds things up.
Maybe that's my problem.

My old lappy died and I bought a reconditioned one with win10. Perhaps it was an upgrade rather than loaded from new. All I know is my dual processor with win 7 was much faster than this quad processor using win10.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Get a new computer. They've never before been so cheap and such good value.

Keep the old one as a backup, especially if it's a space-saving laptop.
For those who are not "tech-savvy" or those who just want to "keep it simple", that's what I'd suggest, too .....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
From personal experience I would say continue using win7 for as long as possible, even if certain things are no longer supported. Win10 is a pile of shyte in my humble opinion. I mean what other system requires you to opt 'out' from certain sites viewing you through your web cam? Time for black tape just in case.

I don't know how in to computers you are Bill but there's a lot of stuff on there that I will never, ever use or wish to use. To me, the whole thing seems to be about keeping you in touch with others unless you opt out.

I am with you all if the way in this Dongle. I used to have Windows XP which was fantastic, but since I moved to 10, my PC is more like hard work than pleasure & they are using every trick in the book to get more money from you.... like making some of the games almost impossible to complete unless you buy further jewels to help you get suggestions.
I also like uniformity yet, when I switch on in the morning, I get different screens on different days to get into what I want.
I hate Windows 10, but what do Microsoft care as long as they are making money?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep, this for me also Bill....
I've been running Vista on my old desktop for about three years since since support was withdrawn and no problems at all....
Also, I run windows 7 on my netbook and still love to use it, although a bit slow, but it does the job....
When I bought this new Laptop it had windows 10, it's so fast but there's loads of crap on here that, like Longdogs, I'll never need or use. I've deleted some of it but you can't delete it all so I'll just grin and bear it.

I would not recommend putting W10 on and old computer, stick with W7 and like d00d says, keep your old computer with W7 for backup....
Who wants to buy something new and have to bugger about with it instead of using it....
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 12:40 PM

To be perfectly honest I preferred Windows 7. I don't like Windows 10. It made too many changes and I don't like that. IMO it's made things a lot more awkward, for me anyway.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top