Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 01:24 PM

Re: Can someone please help?

Indeed Bruce - as long as your Android version is no older than 2.3.3. If it is, unfortunately, you will be in the same boat as us - NO MORE WHATSAPP! Sob.

Here with list of phones they will no longer be supporting:-

Android older than version 2.3.3.
Windows phone 8.0 and older
iPhone 3GS/iOS 6
Nokia Symbian S60
Blackberry 10 & Blackberry OS.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I know LD. I am so annoyed with Microsoft.

Since retiring, HWMO obviously no longer has his work phone and tablet, my mobile also needed a bit of an update too.
Now, at our age, all we need our phones for is to make and receive calls, and to send and receive secure messages and free media on WhatsApp.

We opted for two, Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 from EBay using Windows.
Perfectly adequate for us and so easy to use, our intention being that we will probably wear out before they do!!

What exciting message do we then receive from Microsoft yesterday? "As from 31st December 2019, Microsoft will no longer give support to the WhatsApp OS. Therefore WhatsApp will no longer be available on Windows phones".
We suggest you upgrade to.....etc etc

Arrghh! We only ever use WhatsApp for all communication with everyone. To send or even receive Media on ordinary Windows messages was costing 50p every time, and that was to receive them as well as send them. I had to inform all family and friend not to send media. Then of course, we were blessed with WhatsApp with free media and secure connection. Now the beggars are taking it from us!!

So annoyed for both of us and anyone else who has a Windows phone.
Not that it makes too much difference to the outcome but I read that it's WhatsApp stopping support for the Windows phone rather than Microsoft stopping support for WhatsApp. However, this looks to come as a result of Microsoft saying that it is stopping support for Windows phones in general anyway, so both companies are sharing the stopping of support of each other I suppose.

https://www.livemint.com/technology/...320455071.html

Windows phones never gained much popularity compared to other platforms. However, I bought a Microsoft Lumia 535 running on Windows 8.1 ages ago. I never used it all that much but when I did, I found it to be pretty good. Even managed to force a Windows 10 upgrade on it that worked OK. Oh well, yet another step along the path of progress I suppose.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Indeed Bruce - as long as your Android version is no older than 2.3.3. If it is, unfortunately, you will be in the same boat as us - NO MORE WHATSAPP! Sob.

Here with list of phones they will no longer be supporting:-

Android older than version 2.3.3.
Windows phone 8.0 and older
iPhone 3GS/iOS 6
Nokia Symbian S60
Blackberry 10 & Blackberry OS.
Android phones with v2.3.3 would have come with a rotary dial - I think my current phone is v9.something.

Over the years I have used various of these programs like Skype and Line. As with all things computer(ish) they come and go. There is always WeChat...

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top