Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 09:53 PM

Top Gear

It was rather good last night, plenty of childish humour.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 10:17 PM

Re: Top Gear

Watched the re run tonight just after the game and loved it.
I have not watched it in donkeys years.
Loved the race through Le Mansfield..
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 10:34 PM

It's better than I expected and certainly better than the Matt Leblanc version (not his fault) but still not a patch on The Grand Tour. Neither are really car programmes though, just entertainment.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 08:36 AM

I wonder whether it will ever live up to the success it had with Clarkson, Hammond and May, whatever line up it has in the future? I can see they still have the studio audiences, but I wonder how many guests went/go for the cars, the studio experience, or to see those three guys (C, H & M)? I went twice, to be able to see them. (Oh, and for the experience!) But I wouldn't cross the street to see the likes of Chris Evans, or Matt LeBlanc, or Chris Harris, or even Flintoff or the other one.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 08:53 AM

I watched this on Sunday after many years of voluntary abstinence for no other reason than my home town of Mansfield was supposed to be being featured.

I stopped watching the program just after Clarkson and Co took over because of the mind numbing stupidity, that was so relentless as to be stupifying. Needless to say nothing has changed, just another set of giggling adult infant schoolchildren emulating Mr Pastry slapstick.

How anyone can watch this utter tripe week after week I will never understand, and I can guarantee that I will never be persuaded ever again, you really couldn't pay me enough....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 09:10 AM

I think Top Gear is the sort of programme you can watch when you are laying on the sofa suffering from man flu and don't wish to engage your brain too much. I thought Clarkson/May/Hammond was bad enough but the new accents do my head in. I particularly can't listen to Paddy 'Tek meh Yoat' McGuiness for more than ten seconds.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 09:15 AM

I tried watching it when clarkeson & co left, stopped after a couple of episodes, watched the first series of the grand tour, and , although the first few were funny and entertaining, the format is tired, and by the end everything seemed forced, so I didn’t bother with the second series, I’m not a fan of paddy, mcguinnes, so I haven’t bothered, nothing has changed judging by the few clips I’ve seen..
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I think Top Gear is the sort of programme you can watch when you are laying on the sofa suffering from man flu and don't wish to engage your brain too much. I thought Clarkson/May/Hammond was bad enough but the new accents do my head in. I particularly can't listen to Paddy 'Tek meh Yoat' McGuiness for more than ten seconds.
You and me both. As a Yorkshireman some Lancastrian accents grate on the ear, his especially.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
You and me both. As a Yorkshireman some Lancastrian accents grate on the ear, his especially.
As a proud Lancashire lass with a still pleasing accent I could not agree more Judd. Over emphasis from the likes of McGuinness and Cilla Black grit my teeth. It makes a mockery out of us normal folk cos non of us actually talk like that.

it's put me right off watching it
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 05:12 PM

I have watched odd episodes of Top Gear over the years, though not on a regular basis, and not watched any at all for a while now.

However, there was a interesting letter in today's Radio Times, which made me think that maybe its day is done.

I shall quote most of the letter:

"Top Gear... Cars are very polluting and add to global warming even if electric cars are reviewed.

Top Gear is so last century; I hope no further series are made, which would really mean that the BBC does value the planet.

If the makers want to offset the pollution by spending thousands on tree planting, they could mention it at the end of every programme.
A.M., London SE17"

I must admit, I hadn't thought of it in that way before, but food for thought?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top