Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 04:35 PM

Re: Puppies for Kids.

Some of you may remember me telling of a mother who bought her 2 yr old daughter a puppy , within 12 weeks the woman wanted rid of the pup so advertised it on face book , a horrified friend bought the puppy and gave it to the rescue centre for rehoming. The mother wasnt even going to vet the new owners .

Years ago I bred my lovely cavalier king Charles dog called Queenie , she had 4 pups 3 went to excellent homes with older folk who adored them , they had happy lifes .

I kept the 4th pup and mum and daughter both lived to be 16 and a half .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 04:37 PM

Lots of people sell puppies without a background check because they want the money .In fact I would say it's the norm people don't check people who come to buy from miles away .
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 05:14 PM

Swims
I know it feels like buying a rescue pup/dog is the nicest thing to do but honestly, if you want one, then buy from a reputable breeder, or from a litter of a friend, or friend of a friend.
No one would refuse you then I'm sure.
Like Muddy said, some rescue homes want the "perfect" home not a "loving" home.

I wouldn't recommend a big dog or working breed dogs though as you'd need to walk for miles, every day
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I wouldn't recommend a big dog or working breed dogs though as you'd need to walk for miles, every day
That's one of the main reasons we got ours. Good for him, good for us.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 05:38 PM

You never know Swims, that pup may need a new owner soon, you may get chance to take it over!
My Dolly was a "rescue" frim my grand daughter's friends who had to move into a rented place that wouldn't accept pets.
She is lovely, just right for me! (nutty as a fruitcake and very laid back)
They say the right dog will find you!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Swims
I know it feels like buying a rescue pup/dog is the nicest thing to do but honestly, if you want one, then buy from a reputable breeder, or from a litter of a friend, or friend of a friend.
No one would refuse you then I'm sure.
Like Muddy said, some rescue homes want the "perfect" home not a "loving" home.

Not sure I quite agree with that Rhian.
Not sure a puppy 'straight from the nest' would be the best idea for Swim with his ongoing health problems.

If he really wants one, I would have thought an older companion who is past the destructiveness, and house training stages might be more sensible.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 06:40 AM

Hi

Thank you Rhian and Mups for your comments.

I am not housebound, I can walk and I am getting better.

My favourite dogs are Flatcoats, I will not be getting one, I have to be realistic, they need a huge amount of exercise.

I have good days and bad days, more good than bad now, but a puppy is out of the question.

It would be totally unfair for them if I was having a bad day or a bad few days.

I know my limits, very long walks are not on.

Several short walks a day are.

I am not the man I was a couple of years ago.

I simply cannot walk 10 miles carrying a 50 KG Pack.

I can walk a mile now carrying 20 kilos.

Then I need to rest, and that is on a good day.

A bad day is lying on the sofa.

I have to be realistic.

Dogs are important, I will not have one until I am ready.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 12:45 PM

Have you heard any more from that poor pup, Swims?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top