Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 11:08 PM

To the Moon and Back

Anyone else watch this drama/documentary tonight?

It was about the eight days trip to the moon and back and the Apollo 11 landing fifty years ago this month. Hard to believe it was so long ago - I got the same feeling of tension I got when I watched the original landing in 1969.

It showed never before footing of the conditions inside the space module on the way to the moon and the `Eagle` lunar module and the discussions with the astronauts. One part never revealed until now was a circuit breaker on the Eagle having a broken switch meaning that Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin could have been marooned on the moon forever. Mission control at Houston couldn't find a way to by-pass the breaker so Aldrin hit on the idea of shoving a pen into the hole left by the broken breaker. Thankfully, the idea worked and they managed to take of again and rendezvous with Michael Collins who was in orbit above the moon to receive the Eagle lander. This was jettisoned and it orbited the moon for three months before it crashed onto the lunar surface.

I always felt sorry for Collins as he didn't get the same recognition as Armstrong and Aldrin by dint of not having walked on the moon but he was instrumental in making the mission a success. It was due to his impeccable flying of the spacecraft, and his pinpoint accuracy in detaching the Landing Module from the spacecraft and attaching it to the Lunar Module for the flight to the moon. If he missed his target, the whole mission would have had to be aborted. He also recovered the Eagle as she blasted off from the moon and brought the whole crew back home safely.

Stirring stuff. There's a few more shows this month celebrating the achievement if anyone wants to watch, I know I will.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 11:26 PM

Re: To the Moon and Back

lol

I deliberately didn't watch it knowing it would be extremely carefully editted. Sorry but never happened in 1969.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
lol

I deliberately didn't watch it knowing it would be extremely carefully editted. Sorry but never happened in 1969.
I knew you would be along to refute the claim. No matter I believe it happened.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 11:30 PM

I shall be watching it later .....

I mentioned in a earlier thread:

"Apollo 11 review – eye-opening documentary is a five-star triumph"

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...e-star-triumph

The documentary Apollo 11 starts, as the famous mission did, in Cape Canaveral, Florida. Trucks ferry massive rocket props, machinery grinds as it would in any construction zone, the sky is a crystal blue. The scene is, in a word, vibrant – so startlingly alive that for the first few minutes, I wasn’t sure if I was watching footage from 1969 or a Nasa promo shot from last year.

That present-ness is one of the film’s major feats, credit due to director Todd Douglas Miller, who has found a brilliant way to portray the first moon landing by doing nothing more than the gargantuan task of faithfully rejuvenating the historical record. The documentary is seamless curation of archival work; Miller and his team, in partnership with Nasa and the National Archives, sifted through 11,000 hours of uncatalogued audio and restored reams of original film, including hyper-detail 70mm footage that languished in the archives, boxed up and forgotten, since 1969. The result is a stunning project of historical preservation – no narration, no cutaway interviews, no recreations, just original material synced with some music and the occasional diagram.
I'm not sure if it's still out on release, or whether it's available on DVD in the UK yet, but it's simply stunning .....
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 01:48 AM

I would like to see it very much.
Of course it happened.I can get really steamed up about forum "experts" who know otherwise.It took a lot of courage and skill and their efforts being denigrated by some know it all behind a keyboard gets me a bit annoyed.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
lol

I saw this Realist and I had an instant bristle but almost as instantly it turned to a wry smile. I was thinking "This is a windup right?" Go for it if it is but I didn't think there was anybody still around that would get wound up with this. I was 17 when they went. I watched it on TV. My Dad's friend was a technician at Parkes Observatory in Western NSW which was involved in tracking the moon shot and the broadcast of the landing. That's unless the Australian Government, NSW govt, CSIRO etc etc were all in on it too.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 03:05 AM

You must really enjoy The Dish,then.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
You must really enjoy The Dish,then.
Yes classic.But not very accurate I am told. Dad's mate worked at the Muchea Tracking station near Perth during the Mercury shots. He worked at Parkes but not sure when.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 09:04 AM

There are plans to build a Moon base.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2019...ld-a-moon-base.

https://sservi.nasa.gov/articles/sci...re-lunar-base/

Unless you believe that the Moon is a hollow space station.

http://humansarefree.com/2014/05/ear...e-station.html

All extremely fascinating.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2019, 01:46 PM

Still need to watch this on catch up. I also feel a bit sorry for Collins because no one ever remembers his name even... me included.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top