Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 08:50 PM

Two dead voles

When I came home there was a little dead vole just outside the back door , it was obviously not long dead and had no visible injuries on it. Today I found another one in more or less the same place .

What could have happened to them?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 11:03 PM

Re: Two dead voles

Could it be a visiting cat, Muddy?
They often take their trohpies home don't they.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Could it be a visiting cat, Muddy?
They often take their trohpies home don't they.
Definitely cats. Evil bastard things they are.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

Oooh, you'll be in or a pasting from Tabs and Twink now, Judsy.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 07:43 AM

I supose it must be although it's extremely rare for a cat to come into my garden .This is a dog village .
But they didn't look roughed up or damaged .
I once heard that voles were so sensitive they can die of stress.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I supose it must be although it's extremely rare for a cat to come into my garden .This is a dog village .
But they didn't look roughed up or damaged .
I once heard that voles were so sensitive they can die of stress.
Well I suspect that being caught by a cat is stressful!

Originally Posted by Judd ->
As for you Judsy I would like to tell you that even though voles, shrews & mice are sweet looking creatures, they would soon find a way into your house for warmth & food, if cats didn't reduce their numbers.... so they do humans a big service! They also catch rats, and I have noticed that most farms have cats living in their barns to help with this problem!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 09:28 AM

Maybe they were visiting and you didn't hear them knocking....they died trying to knock louder.....ok probably not

I won't rise to the cat insult
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Well I suspect that being caught by a cat is stressful!

As for you Judsy I would like to tell you that even though voles, shrews & mice are sweet looking creatures, they would soon find a way into your house for warmth & food, if cats didn't reduce their numbers.... so they do humans a big service! They also catch rats, and I have noticed that most farms have cats living in their barns to help with this problem!
The cats don't kill such creatures for food, they 'play' around and torture them before discarding their corpses. How many times have you seen a bird with its head bitten off? Add to that the vile scent they spray everywhere and their incessant night time screeching. Feral cats are a menace, a cancer that's spreading unchecked.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
When I came home there was a little dead vole just outside the back door , it was obviously not long dead and had no visible injuries on it. Today I found another one in more or less the same place .

What could have happened to them?
Most likely a cat got them & because they taste nasty, it dumped them.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

20-07-2019, 03:33 PM

I got it wrong people they weren't voles but shrews ( just looked up the pictures) but they were still dead.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top