Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 04:08 AM

Why Australia is "The Lucky Country"?

This might be a pointer for what Britain needs to do if it is to thrive after Brexit or what it should have done decades ago.

This film by some pommie bastard (no idea who he is) is worth watching to the end:

Some quotes to wet your appetite,

"America is a country in decline"
"Australia has the highest standard of living in the world"
"Australia's economy is the same size as Russia's"
"Australia seems invulnerable to any form of financial crisis"

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 04:12 AM

Re: Why Australia is "The Lucky Country"?

On the downside

Interesting to see how others see us.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 12:22 PM

Always viewed Australia as the land of plenty, especially sunshine!

Must admit, when I first watched it in the 80's, I used to think that almost every home was like Ramsey Street, all posh houses with swimming pools

Loved and envied how cheap your homes used to cost compared to over here, now, of course, they have caught up with pricing, especially Sydney.

Love your tv programmes such as Bondi Beach Rescue, Wanted Down Under and my absolute favourite, Masterchef Australia. Nothing to compare. Wonderful entertainment.

Just one thing mars the perfection though. I couldn't put up with your plagues of flies!! especially as Aussies love eating outside. yuk, I have flyscreens on both front and back door here, if one fly manages to get in, it's total war until its lying on it's back dead! God knows what I would be like with the amount of flies you have there. How do you manage to enjoy sitting in your beautiful sunshine with flies landing on the food???

Still, with all that beautiful sunshine, gorgeous beaches, fabulous food, You are definitely lucky, lucky people to live in such a beautiful country.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
This might be a pointer for what Britain needs to do if it is to thrive after Brexit or what it should have done decades ago.

This film by some pommie bastard (no idea who he is) is worth watching to the end:

Some quotes to wet your appetite,

"America is a country in decline"
"Australia has the highest standard of living in the world"
"Australia's economy is the same size as Russia's"
"Australia seems invulnerable to any form of financial crisis"

'cos you have Bruce Almighty....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 12:49 PM

We could learn a lot from Australia IMO but we won't in many areas we've lost the battle. Your stance on seeds and plants etc going into your country is one we should have adopted before we lost many trees and plants due to diseases we imported.

One thing you have to think about though is your climate, I find many of us are far more positive and enthusiastic in the sun, we are lucky (although we moan about it when it happens) to get a month of good days a year. That forms what we do I think.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

07-11-2018, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
A
Just one thing mars the perfection though. I couldn't put up with your plagues of flies!! especially as Aussies love eating outside. yuk, I have flyscreens on both front and back door here, if one fly manages to get in, it's total war until its lying on it's back dead! God knows what I would be like with the amount of flies you have there. How do you manage to enjoy sitting in your beautiful sunshine with flies landing on the food???
That's why we invented Aeroguard!

Bush flies won't come into the house which is also why we tend to wear broad brimmed hats, the flywire on houses just keeps out mozzies. It just depends where you are and the dry or wetness of an area at any given time. Where I live usually we don't get many flies. Even in the bush it depends where you are and the season you have have had whether you get flies or not, personally I hardly notice them anymore.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

07-11-2018, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We could learn a lot from Australia IMO but we won't in many areas we've lost the battle. Your stance on seeds and plants etc going into your country is one we should have adopted before we lost many trees and plants due to diseases we imported.

One thing you have to think about though is your climate, I find many of us are far more positive and enthusiastic in the sun, we are lucky (although we moan about it when it happens) to get a month of good days a year. That forms what we do I think.
We still have rabbits, foxes, Lantana, Prickly Pear and cane toad all of which have been a disaster but you are probably right about the climate, sunshine does make a difference.

I thought the film was more about the political situation which has made us a lucky country and it was interesting to look at it from an outsider's perspective (The dangerous animals bit at the beginning was just annoying). I am not convinced it will always be that way and fighting off the GFC took a lot of money.

Currently we are having a debate about power and renewable energy especially gas which we export in bulk yet have shortages at home. And we don't always treat our poorer neighbours well though China's growing influence in the South Pacific is changing that attitude.

Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 02:21 PM

The National Language of Australia will be Chinese by the end of the next 20 years.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top