Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 06:07 PM

Re: Pulled meat

It goes back to American ways of slow cooking pork over charcoal. The hog was then so tender it could be pulled apart with a fork.

Now it`s `trendy`
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 06:33 PM

It doesn't appeal to me. It's my religion.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Pulled pork , Morti on a date.
Funny Swims, I like that one.
Morti may give you a thrashing though......
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
So Pulled is only meat that has been got off the bone with a fork, instead of a knife? How daft!

Thanks Fender & Meg.
Not quite Mups we have always had dishes like slow-cooked belly pork here cooked that way to enable the high level of fat to melt away to a crisp deliciousness
Because it is so soft it is quite difficult to carve but we didn't give it a special name .

Then the Americans came along with their 'slow cooked' or 'pulled pork' whole pigs cooked in fire pits in the ground and the meat pulled off also delicious I imagine ( I saw a programme where they were cooking it)

Once the idea caught on it has become 'the latest thing' and appears all over the place although a lot of it seems to be a poor imitation of the original .
You need good pork to start with.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 08:47 PM

And why is it more expensive than ordinary pork?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
And why is it more expensive than ordinary pork?
Is it, because it's the 'latest thing' I would imagine and that usually carries a premium
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
With two forks usually.

It seems to have become very fashionable and can mean overcooked string and tasteless

Me being the cynical sort, I assumed the 'pulled' pork or ham or whatever was 'pulled' food wise, was done by robots. You mean an actual person uses forks to do it?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

23-11-2016, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Me being the cynical sort, I assumed the 'pulled' pork or ham or whatever was 'pulled' food wise, was done by robots. You mean an actual person uses forks to do it?
Pesta I have seen it done with two forks , that doesn't mean to say that there isn't a robot somewhere messing around with a bit of pork and two forks
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 10:39 PM

The only time I've had pulled pork is when on holiday abroad but I have seen it in Sainsbury's delicatessen.

How to pull pork with two forks:

gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Pesta I have seen it done with two forks , that doesn't mean to say that there isn't a robot somewhere messing around with a bit of pork and two forks
Now that has got Morty wondering

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top