Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 10:14 AM

Re: Choosing a Slow Cooker

Originally Posted by Missy ->
You still need to boil your beans , esp the kidney beans, unless you buy tinned

I do have a slow cooker but rarely use is as I prefer my heavy casserole on top of the hob, but that’s since I got an induction hob, the control of it is amazing

Slow cookers cook a lot more then stews. I cook my roosters in them as they need long slow cooking. I would definitely say buy one big enough to take a chicken. Just prop it up on some rough chopped veg like swede, onion etc, season it, add a small splash of wine or stock and you have the gravy and veg made as well.

Fudge is supposed to be nice made in it, I know my sister makes desserts on hers

If you are a batch cook then yes go get one as big as possible. Imagine a pot full of say beef stew cooked and cooked for pennies sat in the freezer ready to turn into a pie or just served with dumplings
I've often wondered if results are as good as the real thing. (?)
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I've often wondered if results are as good as the real thing. (?)
They are Doody
I often make curries also, the longer slow cooking increases flavour.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
They are Doody
I often make curries also, the longer slow cooking increases flavour.
still not convinced. You want flavour! then buy some decent ingredients at the outset. Grrrr
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
still not convinced. You want flavour! then buy some decent ingredients at the outset. Grrrr
Well, that also of course. But if I am working in the field all day, it saves me a lot of time. My hubby is an awful cook.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
The amount of electricity used

The slow cooker is as low as running a light bulb so extremely cheap
Originally Posted by Mups ->
Ah, thank you Missy.

See, it takes another woman to know these things.
I agree.

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Don't forget to keep the carcass and bones. I store mine in the freezer and when I have enough, use them to make chicken stock which can be used in soups or gravy.
This is what I do. Makes great stock for pennies
Originally Posted by Newcomer ->
Much less electricity needed and you don't have a hot kitchen as it all stays in the pot.
Have you got a friend who would let you borrow one to try?.
This is a real consideration in the summer if you have no air conditioner. You can cook without heating up the entire house.

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
I like the "set it and forget it" convenience of a slow cooker. I can even leave the house for a while and not worry that my food is burning or worry about having to baste the food (in a slow cooker, the food bastes itself).

(in fact I have a whole chicken in my slow cooker right now that will eventually be chicken and noodles)

In a slow cooker, the meat becomes more tender and juicy than in the oven because it uses moist heat as opposed to dry heat. Slow cookers are great for cooking meats to tender, fall-apart perfection, which is especially good if you're making pulled or shredded chicken or pork.

However, with a slow cooker, the skin on a chicken won't be crispy like it gets if it's cooked in the oven. But there's a solution to that. Once the bird is done and it has rested for a short bit, you take it out of the slow cooker and place it in an oven-safe pan and stick it under the broiler for 3-5 minutes.

I have 4 slow cookers. A mini (good for fondues, melting chocolate, keeping gravy warm, etc) a round 3.5 quart, a big round 6 quart and a 5 quart oval. The 5 quart oval cooker is the one I've found I use the most.

I just take the skin and bones out afterwards.
This IS a great thread
Great info on slow cookers.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 12:51 AM

I divorced my slow cooker years ago. What a good move. I've found it cheaper to eat out more.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top