Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 12:48 PM

Referendums

Interesting debate on referendums going on up here. Thought I would throw these ideas out there to see what people think. I hasten to add that I’m not advocating these, I just find it interesting.

- referendums should only be on matters of major constitutional change (that would have to be defined)
- a significant majority of the total electorate would have to take part (say 60%. Happens in other countries I believe)
- if at least 60% vote for change then that’s it
- if vote for change is below 60% (or agreed %), then referendum on terms possible.
- sides must produce a manifesto.

Or should we leave such decisions to elected representatives in Parliament?

A real minefield I know but any thoughts?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 02:04 PM

Re: Referendums

I believe this (or something very similar) is what happens in Switzerland.

I completely agree with it too. Allowing the voting public to make decisions regarding the most important matters is a step closer to true democracy.

The problem with leaving important decisions to MPs is that politicians lie! How often have we seen government decisions being made which appear to benefit them or their mates in business at the expense of the general population?

Unfortunately, for that very reason, it will never happen in this country especially with our 'two party' system. It's just a continual 'left-right-left-right' swing, each party doing little more than criticising the other and, at the same time, working to benefit themselves.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 02:14 PM

I don't think we will ever get the sort of referendums that you have outlined, since the EU Referendum has clearly demonstrated to the Establishment that the electorate cannot be trusted to get the correct result
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
I don't think we will ever get the sort of referendums that you have outlined, since the EU Referendum has clearly demonstrated to the Establishment that the electorate cannot be trusted to get the correct result
How true!
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
I suppose the EU referendum falls into a vote on the terms as outlined above. However, the UK is so divided I doubt you would get 60% on one side of any vote at the moment. It’s a big of an issue up here as the Scottish Government has nailed its colours to the People’s Vote mast which leaves them vulnerable if any future Independence Referendum results in a narrow Yes vote.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
I suppose the EU referendum falls into a vote on the terms as outlined above. However, the UK is so divided I doubt you would get 60% on one side of any vote at the moment. It’s a big of an issue up here as the Scottish Government has nailed its colours to the People’s Vote mast which leaves them vulnerable if any future Independence Referendum results in a narrow Yes vote.
The SNP has stuffed themseles up by agreeing to a people's vote for Brexit.
As you say, it will leave them wide open in a future Indy vote.

Personally, I think more referendums are good so long as they are just for the big constitutional matters and perhaps 60% of the participating electorate should be the winning margin,

However, there should be no minimum %age for participation because you might then encourage boycotts.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 07:17 PM

I think referendum are great we should have more, but they won't let us unless they make it clear in future it means nothing and they can carry on regardless.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 07:21 PM

I don't think referendums are the way to go.
To quote Thomas Carlyle:
"I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance".
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

04-11-2018, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think referendum are great we should have more, but they won't let us unless they make it clear in future it means nothing and they can carry on regardless.
Which rather confirms that we do not live in a true democracy, whatever they like to claim!
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I don't think referendums are the way to go.
To quote Thomas Carlyle:
"I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance".
Elitism !

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top