Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 09:54 AM

manual/automatic legality?

Here's a question that cropped up between a few of us in the pub the other day

In the UK you are only allowed to drive a car with a manual gearbox if you have passed your test on one
You can pass your test in an automatic gearbox car, but then you must continue to drive an automatic, unless you are re-tested on a manual

If a visitor to UK, notably Americans, has passed their test on an automatic in their own country, what are they allowed to drive in UK?

If they hire a car while on holiday can it be a manual, or must they ask for an automatic?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 09:58 AM

Re: manual/automatic legality?

Looking at Gov.UK it says you can drive any small vehicle ( ie car or motorcycle) which is listed on your full and valid driving license

So I guess if they can only drive autos, thats what they have to ask for here
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
Here's a question that cropped up between a few of us in the pub the other day

In the UK you are only allowed to drive a car with a manual gearbox if you have passed your test on one
You can pass your test in an automatic gearbox car, but then you must continue to drive an automatic, unless you are re-tested on a manual

If a visitor to UK, notably Americans, has passed their test on an automatic in their own country, what are they allowed to drive in UK?

If they hire a car while on holiday can it be a manual, or must they ask for an automatic?
I believe that if you have passed a test on a manual you can drive either, but if you have passed on an auto then you can't legally drive a manual. Autos are available though from most car hire companies, so no problem if you are visiting from abroad.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 10:35 AM

I would think they would only hire and drive an automatic. I doubt they would physically be able to drive a manual because they wouldn't know how to.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 10:38 AM

I don't think Americans would ask for what they call a stick shift but ask for an autobox
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I would think they would only hire and drive an automatic. I doubt they would physically be able to drive a manual because they wouldn't know how to.
There are lots of drivers out there who passed their test in a manual Longdogs, who still don't know what to do with the gearbox.....

Anyway? What's that pedal on the left for?...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
There are lots of drivers out there who passed their test in a manual Longdogs, who still don't know what to do with the gearbox.....

Anyway? What's that pedal on the left for?...
Good point Foxy.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 11:34 AM

Cheers Longdogs.....and good morning my friend....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

01-07-2018, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Cheers Longdogs.....and good morning my friend....
And a very good morning to you my friend.

Luv you
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

01-07-2018, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
And a very good morning to you my friend.

Luv you
Awwwww Shucks.....I bet you say that to all the boys....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top