Join for free
Smithandrew12
New Member!
United Kingdom
Smithandrew12 is male 

04-08-2018, 03:19 PM

Next step

Hi all I am a 57 year old who recently got on the path to getting fitter, I started walking to work, approx 1.8 km then walking running walking, eventually all running twice a week, I am now a member of my local gym and try to go twice a week. I have no intentions of running marathons or anything like that but I am at the stage where I'm not sure what to do next as I do a 20 mins run session a 20 mins cycling session and 15 mins rowing, working up a nice sweat I keep my heart rate to between 130 and 140 BPM, now I don't want to be spending much more time than I already do at the gym but not sure if I should be getting my heart rate any higher even though I am not massively out of breath, should I sustain what I am doing and maybe getting a stronger heart and lungs or push through 140, is it safe to do so at 57
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 03:31 PM

Re: Next step

Hi Andrew, and welcome.

I am no expert by a long chalk, but this link might help you:

https://www.lifespanfitness.com/uk/f...ate-calculator

Also, if you have a look at the Foxy, Surfermom and Floydy's posts on the "Post your daily exercise" thread, you will probably get a lot of helpful advice there.
Good luck.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 03:38 PM

Hi Andrew and welcome. As Mups says speak to the above, I only walk to the fridge and back.

LD
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 03:42 PM

You should be fine sustaining things for a while, as the heart will strengthen and be more efficient. There's a calculator here: https://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/heartrate

This site has a guideline to maximum heart rate: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...y/art-20046887 In short it says "The basic way to calculate your maximum heart rate is to subtract your age from 220. For example, if you're 45 years old, subtract 45 from 220 to get a maximum heart rate of 175. This is the maximum number of times your heart should beat per minute during exercise." If this guideline is accurate you are doing fine.

As for your age, well, I'm getting fit again at 62 after spot of heart trouble in October last year, and the Beta Blocker I'm on lowers my heart rate and makes the heart beat less powerfully as well. It makes it tricky because I don't know what my heart rate would be without taking it, but I got them to half the dose a few months ago as my resting heart rate was down to 45 or 50 beats. That seemed terribly low to me, but with the reduced dose it's now it's around 65 which seems a lot better. When I am working out in the gym it generally peaks at around 75 to 80, after I build up a nice sweat and feel the lungs pumping. Like you, I don't get out of breath. I don't think I'm much use as a comparison to you though because of the Beta Blocker.
Smithandrew12
New Member!
United Kingdom
Smithandrew12 is male 

04-08-2018, 10:10 PM

Umm interesting as I am on ramiprill and bisoprolol ace inhibitors and beta blockers
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Smithandrew12 ->
Hi all I am a 57 year old who recently got on the path to getting fitter, I started walking to work, approx 1.8 km then walking running walking, eventually all running twice a week, I am now a member of my local gym and try to go twice a week. I have no intentions of running marathons or anything like that but I am at the stage where I'm not sure what to do next as I do a 20 mins run session a 20 mins cycling session and 15 mins rowing, working up a nice sweat I keep my heart rate to between 130 and 140 BPM, now I don't want to be spending much more time than I already do at the gym but not sure if I should be getting my heart rate any higher even though I am not massively out of breath, should I sustain what I am doing and maybe getting a stronger heart and lungs or push through 140, is it safe to do so at 57
I used to cycle 15km to work everyday at that age didn't seem to do me any harm, though sometimes cycling the 15km home after a busy nightshift seemed a bit of a bugger.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 03:22 PM

I'm recently into getting fit too, I've been swimming for a long time but recently upped my game to incorporate cardio and weights in my regime. I read that subtract your age from 220 is the safe level. I'm 58 and I usually get to about 130 so I feel well in the safe level.

Good on you for taking stock of your life and taking care of that heart of yours.

Saying all that, perhaps it might be an idea to talk to your doctor and see what he thinks?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top