Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 09:39 AM

Re: Invasive specie

Need I mention red/grey squirrels?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 09:57 AM

Grey squirrels have well and truly taken over .
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 03:03 PM

Harlequin ladybirds is another.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Grey squirrels have well and truly taken over .
Except in Scotland. We had a holiday cottage in Scotland a couple of years ago, Got lots of photographs of Red Squirrels.

But you are right, mostly grey elsewhere although a park near us has a few black ones.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
And the Himalayan Balsam, Muddy, that is crowding out the normal river bank/hedgerow plants. The local 'Wildlife trust' has had several purges on it - but it always comes back.

I saw on the telly the other night that they have done research and a now making alcoholic drink from the Himalayan Balsam flowers.
I wish I had paid more attention now, so can't remember if it is used to flavour Gin, or beers?

Also, regarding those Cane toads Muddy said about, they are very poisonous little critters. They secrete the poison from glands in their skin and it is very toxic.

Another invasive thing is the UK was introduced from America and is the Americal Mink. See here:

Another American native, mink were introduced to Great Britain in 1929 for use in fur farming but individuals began to escape from farms and breed in the wild.

Since their introduction, the native water vole has experienced one of the most rapid and serious declines of any British wild mammal during the 20th century. There has been a decline in as much as 94 per cent in the number of water vole sites, and predation by the invasive American mink has been a key factor in this decline.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top